This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing an open diff to TT

I am in the process of putting a Twin Traction diff in an open rear (both are Dana 44s). Anything specific I need to watch for. I know about the additional lubricant, but anyting else? Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White
    If you referring to the decal for service personnel, S-I and other vendors sell them.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Have you got the axle shaft thrust blocks you'll need?

If you're talking about the T tag, I might have one around here. They also have a decal that the vendors have that goes on the rear cover. It warns to use the proper fluid.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Have you checked to be sure you have the correct TT unit? The 3.73 and lower ratio numbers are different than the 3.92 and higher numbers. If I remember correctly, the higher number carrier and TT units are about .220" thicker. Just check your TT unit to the carrier you're taking out to see that the ring gear pad heights are the same.

Ted

I am in the process of putting a Twin Traction diff in an open rear (both are Dana 44s). Anything specific I need to watch for. I know about the additional lubricant, but anyting else? Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT

Comment

Mr. Biggs, it looks like I am missing the axle shaft thrust blocks. I am assuming that anyone that works on rears/trans might have these or ??? The tag is the metal tag on the rear cover that tells you what the ratio is and to use the special lube.

Ted, I am changing from a 3:73 open to a 3:31 TT so I should be OK.

Thanks

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

From what I know, the thrust blocks aren't plentiful, but with some searching, you should be able to come up with a couple.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This is much more involved then simply bolting the carrier into the housing. You must set up the gears per the shop manual or good gear setup procedures. Some special tools are involved, a case spreader is called for, I've seen some real creative guys do it without but its a challenge. The runout and backlash is set by shims under bearings. Damage to the bearing is possible if you don't have the correct pullers. Unless your wanting to learn and do some of these in the future I'd suggest you take your housing to some who set these up for a living. jeep scout etc use the dana 44. a good 4wheel drive shop would be your best bet. the average mech doesn't do enough of these to become good @ it. Rearend setup isn't something you want to get close on or take short cuts.
              Russ (

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)

Comment

Thanks for the info Russ. I am aware of the requirements and had planned to take the rear to a shop that specializes in diff, 4wd and various other driveline requirements.

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Wise man you are!! Parts even for stude rears are readily available.
                  I got my last rebuilt kit from Randy Ring&Pinion. All they needed was #'s off the ring gear, they were able to get all the info from that.
                  Here's their site
                  RANDYS Worldwide is the leading supplier in the United States for differential gears, axles, installation kits, small parts, tools, lockers, limited slips, drivelines, and more.

Thanks for the info Russ. I am aware of the requirements and had planned to take the rear to a shop that specializes in diff, 4wd and various other driveline requirements.

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

Working...