X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Hawk Battery

Hi,
    I need to buy a new battery for the 63 Hawk that I just bought. Does it use a standard size battery or is there something I need to know before I buy one.
    Thanks,
    Mac

Nuthin special. the battery is standard issue for many manufacturers automobiles.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Group 24 battery, but there are two styles, the 24 and 24F. Pick the one with the correct terminal placement.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Mac,
        Some of the new batteries now have those goofy snap-on type bases that raise the height of the battery to make it fit multiple applications. Also, if the battery you select is not a "maintenance-free" the filler caps can interfear with your holdown bracket depending on which style your car has. There were 2 different styles offered, one was a straight rod with tabs on each end and eyelets for the holdown screws. The other is a frame that surrounds the outside edge of the battery at the top.
        Dan Miller
        ROADRACELARK

Comment

You want a Group 24 or 24C, not a 24F. Get one with enough AH capacity.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Mac, be aware that the top of the battery is quite close to the hood under normal circumstances. If you leave one of those plastic bases under the battery it could cause the battery to contact the hood when it is closed. That isn't a desireable situation, it is hard on the paint among other things.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I know this is A LOT to ask. But does anyone know of a part number from Sears, NAPA, Advanced Auto, Discount Auto, Walmart, etc. that would work?

Thanks,
              Mac

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

I know this is A LOT to ask. But does anyone know of a part number from Sears, NAPA, Advanced Auto, Discount Auto, Walmart, etc. that would work?

Thanks,
                Mac
                Mac,
                Group 24 IS the part number. All those places should have that battery in stock and ready to go.

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

The battery "group numbers" mentioned earlier in the thread are pretty much standard among all battery companies. Just ask for a Group 24 battery, and also note the cautions mentioned by the others so far.

Comment

Yup, it is a group 24, just make sure that when the battery is installed so that the terminals are toward the inside of the car, that the negative terminal is toward the front of the car.

AFAIK all Studebaker cars built from 1956 to the end use this battery except for Avantis.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:AFAIK all Studebaker cars built from 1956 to the end use this battery except for Avantis.

nate
                      N8

AND late Avanti's.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Ok... thanks guys.... any recommendations on CCA?

Comment

Don't buy one of those cheapies from Wal-Mart,my buddy did and his froze solid and was nearly busted after just ONE year.
                          Get an Energizer or some of the other good makes.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Yup, it is a group 24, just make sure that when the battery is installed so that the terminals are toward the inside of the car, that the negative terminal is toward the front of the car.
                            Ouch... can I get a clarification on this? If the battery mounts parallel to the engine, perpendicular to the radiator, then I put the terminals towards the engine? If I do that then won't the 24 and 24C have the positive terminal forward? The 24F would have the Neg to the front... but above it says the 24F won't work?
                            Thanks!

Comment

Mac,
                              This got me looking around and I found this site: http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm
                              Here is my interpretation of the orientation of the top terminals. I think the labels on the top of the battery are usually printed so the printing is correct for reading when the terminals are closest to you. That would mean that the 24F has the positive on the right and the the plain 24 has it on the left. Does this make sense?

Tim K.
                              '64 R2 GT Hawk
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X