This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT hawk values

When people ask me what my 1962 hawk is worth I have a hard time answering them. There's the NADA values, then there's the pricing you see at dealers of classic cars, then there's eBay "values", and then there's comparative value. I see cars of the same basic condition selling for anywhere from $5,000- $7,000 up to double that. Of all the Studebakers I have owned, the perceived value of GT hawks and especially 1962 hawks seems impossible to nail down. I've even seen nice cars with price tags up to $30,000 and more (not that they sell at that, but they might), and almost equally nice cars at $10,000. Even on e-Bay the values are inexplicably and incredibly varied for equally equipped cars of the same condition.

It's so bad that some days I look at my car and think it's worth $9,000 or so max, and other days where it appears my car could go for $14,000. It's not just condition, but something else that's making the values so erratic, but what is it???

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to the question you pose. I believe part of the equation is perceived value by both the sellers and buyers. On the seller's side you might find factors such as: Is the seller in a financial crunch or can he take his time and hold out for top dollar? The same scenario holds true for buyers: Are they hot to trot or willing to wait until the right deal comes along? I also believe some sellers overvalue their cars, as I've seen some up for sale for a year or more. My dad was a car salesman his entire adult life, including Studebakers in the 1940s and 50s. He used to say it's just a matter of the right buyer to come along. I'm sure others will have much to say on this issue that is more concrete than my offerings.

Comment

There is I believe a seat for every arss and an arss for every seat. Just hold out for your price until you find someone with a good fitting arss. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

When people ask me what my 1962 hawk is worth I have a hard time answering them. There's the NADA values, then there's the pricing you see at dealers of classic cars, then there's eBay "values", and then there's comparative value. I see cars of the same basic condition selling for anywhere from $5,000- $7,000 up to double that. Of all the Studebakers I have owned, the perceived value of GT hawks and especially 1962 hawks seems impossible to nail down. I've even seen nice cars with price tags up to $30,000 and more (not that they sell at that, but they might), and almost equally nice cars at $10,000. Even on e-Bay the values are inexplicably and incredibly varied for equally equipped cars of the same condition.

It's so bad that some days I look at my car and think it's worth $9,000 or so max, and other days where it appears my car could go for $14,000. It's not just condition, but something else that's making the values so erratic, but what is it???
        Scott,
        I'm not sure that problem is limited to GT Hawks. I think it may apply to most collector cars...but maybe especially to the "sexy" ones (GT Hawks, Avantis, muscle cars, Corvettes, etc.)

First of all you have the problem of folks agreeing on the "condition" of the car. Even using a scale like the "Old Cars Price Guide" I've seen different people catorgize the same car in different categories and be very insistant that they are correct (usually the seller is high and the buyer is low ).

Then you have the problem of buyers and sellers being unaware of the "market". Some sellers just want the car gone and price it low and only advertise it locally to move it. Some sellers price it over the market either thinking the market is higher than it really is or that the condition of the car is better than it really is. Some of these cars actually sell to buyers that are unaware of the market or just "have to have" the car.

Some sellers overprice the car on purpose to see if they can "catch a fish". These cars also sell on occasion.

Some cars sell higher than the "market" at auction (either eBay or live auctions). Auction fever can be a strong force...have you ever watched or been to a Barrett Jackson auction? In some cases, the prices of the cars that sell there have nothing to do with the cars value and everything to do with egos.

Then there is "asking price" vs "selling price". The difference can be huge. Just because a dealer has a car listed for $30k doesn't mean it will sell for that. It may not sell (if the dealer isn't motivated), and it may sell for far less. I have bought cars for much less than half the advertised price (and the seller was happy to do it).

I think NADA or the "Old Cars Price Guide" is a pretty good starting point, IF the condition is evaluated correctly (a big IF). The actual sale price, however, will depend on the type and amount of marketing performed, the location of the car, the method used to sell it, the time of year, the number of people interested in that car at that time, and a host of other subjective and emotional variables.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Trust me your heirs wil get the max dollar for what ever you leave behind
          John
          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

I find a lot of the prices I get on ebay are based on condition, options and "curb appeal" Take a 62 Hawk as a example. If you list a nice base model, white car with 3 speed stick shift and blackwall tires and crappy pictures, maybe 6-8 K. Same car with wide whites and a good presentation, maybe 11K. List a car with AC and 4 speed, perhaps 12-13K.
            63's are worth more then 62's, 64's more still. R1 cars, around 14-16K, R2's, 25-30 K. Red cars seem to bring the most.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

I suppose presention has a lot to do with it. It's not so much that I want to sell mine, but if and when I do I want to have a good idea of where I can or should be price-wise. Mine has the automatic transmission, air conditioning, rebuilt motor with about 5000 miles on it, and almost all fresh black paint, but needs new weather seals, carpet, windlace, a little surface rust stop/repair in the trunk, and radio repair. I just finished redoing the hubcaps with the red and black vinyl and boy does THAT dress up the car. The seat covers are new black and white ones from Phantom (sorry JDP!).

I know some people who wouldn't touch a '63 or '64 because they like the side grilles on the 62, and because the under-seat heating, but of course the '62 hawks are the most common, too.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:The seat covers are new black and white ones from Phantom (sorry JDP!).
                Not a issue, Phantom and me swap customers all the time and my GT Hawk show covers are closer to Phantoms price anyway. I sent my company a set of factory covers to duplicate in their custom shop, but they are $450 set, and still a samll market compared to my cheaper covers.

64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Scott; it's a good thing variety makes the world go round! Because I know people myself included who never did, since '62 care much for '62's! I appreciate the matching grille mesh in the side grilles and I really appreciate the FRESH AIR DEFROSTING and heating system in my '63 GT because unlike '62's they actually work![^]
                  But I do think there are other factors at work here, the availability of performance options; disc. brakes, R series engines, Avanti suspension packages, sharper metalic colors to name a few, and the scarcity of '63 and '64's has a lot to do with it.
                  Interesting isn't it, pick any subject, any opinion, and someone will disagree!
                  Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I suppose presention has a lot to do with it. It's not so much that I want to sell mine, but if and when I do I want to have a good idea of where I can or should be price-wise. I know some people who wouldn't touch a '63 or '64 because they like the side grilles on the 62, and because the under-seat heating, but of course the '62 hawks are the most common, too.
                  StudeRich
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have solved the problem of value. I buy high, sell low.....done deal.
                    I prefer my 1963 GT Hawk over a '62 and for similar reasons to Rich's. More options, better ride, better heat/defrost. I do wish that the 63 GT Hawks had the trunk lid from a 64. That overlay is not cool!
                    Brian
                    Ferndale, WA

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

How could 1963 and 1964 hawks have a better ride than 1962s? All the components are the same, aren't they? I thought the frames might be a little stouter after 1962, but I can't see that alone making for a better ride.
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I prefer the front end and looks and interior on the 63-54's and the 64 has much lower production numbers and is the most refined of the breed.

64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

With 1962s Hawks in particular, the biggest factors are body (rust), chrome (pits) and mainly interior - are the seats correct. It sounds like your '62 Hawk has correct seat upholstery, which is rare. The original '62 Hawk seats did not hold up, like the '63-'64 seats do. I would guesstimate your car at $10,000 to $12,000, with the high end being after the small things that you list are taken care of.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X