This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - 4bbl intake ID

I need some help. The Stude 4-bbl intake pictured below was removed from a '55 President Speedster. The color throws me, I thought '55 engines were a blueish or turquoise color. However, this engine may simply have been painted the wrong color during it's 'restoration' in the '70s.

The casting number is 535661.

So......is this the correct manifold for a '55 Speedster?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Humbled and corrected.......

Comment

It's right. Save for the color anyway.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Don't know if it's correct for your car or not....but it is a fairly rare find. I'd guess it's for a later car...but again, I don't know. A "stock" (non-modified 2 barrel) manifold that's AFB ready, pretty cool. Jeff Rice may have a better feel for it's "year" athenticity
        Mike, it's the small bore/bolt pattern for a WCFB.

I figure Jeff Rice will weigh in tonight when he gets on his 'puter.......lucky dog is at York. Hey Jeff, how was Hooters?<G>

By the way, it's not for any car I have. It's going on eBay.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I trotted out to the shop and checked it against the sho-nuff original driveline setup I pulled from a 55 President about 6 years ago. Part# 536303.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

On the 4bbl manifold topic- I've got one that was in the truck of my 53 when I bought it. It does not look like the ones that I'm used to seeing.The casting number is 535661. Any idea what and when it's from?

Darryl C. Lewallen
            Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

It's exactly the same one pictured above your post by R1 Lark and is part # 536303, 535661 must be the CASTING # which usually does NOT match the finished machined product's part #!
              This type was used with square bore WCFB carb. on '55 to '58 models before '59 when the CARS went to "intake mounted Ign. Coils" notice there are no bosses to be drilled & tapped for Coil holes near the Rt. Rear of Carb. (Most "C" cab Trucks still had firewall mounted Coils. so could also use these.)

Rich. at Studebakers Northwest

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

On the 4bbl manifold topic- I've got one that was in the truck of my 53 when I bought it. It does not look like the ones that I'm used to seeing.The casting number is 535661. Any idea what and when it's from?

Darryl C. Lewallen
              StudeRich
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My car has the WW 2-bbl setup on it now. Is this 4bbl. intake any good from a performance standpoint [worth swapping to]? Would I notice a difference [232]? Will a new edelbrock 4bbl. carb bolt to this intake without an adaptor? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Hooter's was closed.
                  Seems they had a fire and burned up the fry table area...
                  (Their sign said their wings were too hot )
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Don't know if it's correct for your car or not....but it is a fairly rare find. I'd guess it's for a later car...but again, I don't know. A "stock" (non-modified 2 barrel) manifold that's AFB ready, pretty cool. Jeff Rice may have a better feel for it's "year" athenticity
                  Mike, it's the small bore/bolt pattern for a WCFB.

I figure Jeff Rice will weigh in tonight when he gets on his 'puter.......lucky dog is at York. Hey Jeff, how was Hooters?<G>

By the way, it's not for any car I have. It's going on eBay.

Paul

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Darryl,

Sure - a 4bbl's gonna make a difference. But the manifold that's being discussed here (for a WCFB) will only take a WCFB. An Edelbrock (AFB clone) won't fit. Besides that, I believe even the smallest Edelbrock (500CFM) would be too much carb for a 232.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

If you were to do an upgrade.....
                      The manifold would run you $100
                      An installation kit $30
                      An AFB carb (new) about $225
                      Total= $355

And the carb is still on the large size for a stock 232 cid engine.
                      So...
                      Rebuild a WCFB.. $200?
                      Installation kit: $30
                      Total= $230

Fudge room $130 (cost of WCFB core?)

Tough call.
                      Both could be good choices, or both could be awful.
                      Jeff (just trying to help) Rice[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

My car has the WW 2-bbl setup on it now. Is this 4bbl. intake any good from a performance standpoint [worth swapping to]? Would I notice a difference [232]? Will a new edelbrock 4bbl. carb bolt to this intake without an adaptor? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you really want to see a performance boost with your 232, go to 259 heads. If you use the stock valves, they should clear the bores, and WOW what a change! You will also need to change to the 259 exhaust manifolds, and the four barrel intake would be a nice touch, but not really nessessary. Put soft modelling clay over the top of the block, set the head in place and gently press the intake and exhaust valves down into the clay. Remove the head and see if you have any interference with the block, if you do you need to releave the block as little as possible to clear the valves. Make sure you also releave the head gasket also if nessessary. If you want to continue with the two barrel carb, gasket match the original two barrel intake manifold to the heads. The original early intake manifold is much superior to the later flat one as far as air flow goes, and will give you a ram effect. Or, use the early 4 barrel intake manifold discussed in this thread, a much superior manifold to the later flat manifold. You won't believe the difference!

Comment

Working...
                        X