This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Anniversary

According to the calender, 40 years ago 2day, on March 4th, 1966, Studebaker announced they were closing the Canadian plant and ceasing car production. The last car was produced on MArch 17th, 1966..

What was amazing to me when that happened, the corporation was turning a profit from their various divisions like STP, etc. My impression was that the leaders of the company wanted to get out of the car business.
    A sad day in Studedom.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

March 16th was actually the last day of the production line (a Wednesday that year). There were likely workers still cleaning up on March 17 and 18 (Thursday and Friday).
      On March 16, the last day, Studebaker produced 11 Commanders (6 cyl-4 dr), 5 Commanders (6 cyl - 2 dr) and 6 wagons with 6 cyl engines.
      They also produced 4 Commanders (V8 - 4 dr), 8 Cruisers (V8 - 4 dr), 3 Daytonas (V8 - 2 dr) and 9 wagons with V8 engine.
      Total production on that last day was 46 cars.

Comment

They were actually turning a small profit from the car making at that point - but yeah - the board wanted OUT of the auto-making business.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Does anyone know the actual last day that engines were produced in South Bend? I wonder which car has the very last Studebaker block in it. Is it still around? I assume the very last South Bend built car may not have the very last South Bend built engine.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Does anyone know the actual last day that engines were produced in South Bend? I wonder which car has the very last Studebaker block in it. Is it still around? I assume the very last South Bend built car may not have the very last South Bend built engine.
            Since the 1964 model year engines were identified by date codes, you would be able to determine if an engine was made on the last day of production, but not if it was the last engine.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess that's true. I used to have a 1964 Daytona with a replacement V8 block cast on Nov. 23, 1963. Wasn't that the day after Kennedy was assassinated?
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I too, would like to know the day that they last built engines in South Bend. Wonder if every last one they assembled that day found it's way into a '64 Stude?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a 289 engine that came out of a '64 Cruiser and the casting number on the back of the block has a date code on it for March 12/ 64 . It was the original engine in the Cruiser which was an April car .
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Haven't been but, will eventually go to the Studebaker museum. Don't they have the last car prduced in the Canadian factory?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I have a 289 engine that came out of a '64 Cruiser and the casting number on the back of the block has a date code on it for March 12/ 64 . It was the original engine in the Cruiser which was an April car .
                      With Studebaker still making '64 models at Hamilton, engine production would have needed to continue long enough to supply the rest of that year's model run (or June or so of '64). It would also be likely that some of the engines assembled at that time were kept for warranty purposes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The story I had heard was Studebaker wanted to make more profit, and the autos they made were tutning a profit, board or who ever in charge wanted to make a higher % profit on the investment. What is the Corp. today? Total gone , Stp makers, what?

Comment

Actually the corporation survives today as a subsidary of a NY bank. Studebaker-Worthington Leasing has a website and they make reference to their Studebaker history.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Haven't been but, will eventually go to the Studebaker museum. Don't they have the last car prduced in the Canadian factory?
                            The Studebaker Museum has the last car built in South Bend and the last car built in Hamilton (Canada). Neither of these cars would have anywhere near the last South Bend produced engine. The last South Bend built car was built in December 1963. The last Studebaker engine would have gone into the last, or near the last, car built in the 1964 model year (in Canada). The last car built in Canada would have a GM engine.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Fascinating questions posed here. I happen to have production orders for most 1964 convertibles built in Canada and so I did a little research, looking into engine numbers.
                              The last 6 cylinder convertible was built July 6, 1964 and had engine number SCD429. That's for sixes and NOT necessarily the LAST six.
                              Now for V8s. We know that the 8 engine was still being cast in South Bend, even for Hamilton production. The FIRST time a calendar 1964-built V8 engine appears in a convertible is February 17th.
                              The last convertible was built on July 9 but earlier cars sported later built engines. The latest one I found appeared in a convertible built June 19th and the 259 engine number was VCF408.
                              Cars were still being built in July and even part of August. For some reason 1964 model production didn't stop until August 18 so there could be later engines than the one I mentioned.
                              At any rate they were still turning out Studebaker engines in the summer of 1964 in South Bend.

Comment

Working...
                              X