This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierce-Arrow

This may be completely off topic,but I thought that there was a Studebaker Pierce-Arrow connection somewhere in the past.
    What got me to thinking about this was I was watching a DVD I bought by one of the worlds greatest rock bands,Led Zepplin.
    Its called "The song remains the same" and in the opening scenes you have some up close and fantastic views of this big powerfull car,and the sound of that engine is just intoxicating.(late 20's-early 30's Pierce)
    Theres also some good shots of some of drummer John Bonhams other cars and motorcycles(he was a real motorhead) including a big beautiful Bently from the thirtys,a few of his hot rods,and one scene where he pilots a alcohol fueled dragster down the strip.
    To bad booze killed this great man in his prime,because hes got to be the greatest drummer the world has ever seen.
    As the bands singer,Robert Plant, said years later,"John not only hit them hard,he hit them properly"
    Even if you don't care for the music if you get a chance watch it just for the car scenes.
    That big Pierce is just awesome,and the sound of it gives me chills.

In an old Avanti magazine article that printed some of the concepts for the car it showed a 63 Avanti clay model (or prototype?) with a Pierce-Arrow badge on the front. The caption sid they were thinking of releasing it as a P-A.

I've read the same thing about making it a "baby" Packard (sounds like the Cord 810/812 original plan to make it a "baby" Duesenberg...but I digress...).

Perhaps Packard got the rights to Pierce-Arrow name when they went out of business and those rights later passed to Studebaker?
    Or did Studebaker buy the name later?
    In fact did they even own the name and it was just a wild idea some executive had?
    Of course, the Avanti name could have been a ruse to thwart corporate "spies".

Anyone know for sure?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

go to www.pierce-arrow.org and click on history, the record breaking years. it gives a brief history about the Studebaker aquisition. They basically purchased it in 1928 then, in 1933, Studebaker declared bankruptcy, due to the depression and had to give up Pierce-Arrow..

Comment

Yes, Pierce was acquired by Studebaker in 1928. It was part of Mr. Erskine's master plan. Unfortuneately, the Great Depression did a lot of companies in. Studebaker needed to liquidate some of its holdings, including Pierce. Studebaker went into receivership in 1933 and Albert Erskine committed suicide. Pierce became an independent again after a group of bankers and businessmen in Buffalo bought the company.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks for the link to the P-A group..I was at an event a couple of years ago in Ohio and someone had a beautiful 1908-9 roadster, dark green with a copper hood panel. Really first class.

The club site's history ends in the late 30s...does anyone know if Studebaker re-acquired the name later...to explain its apppearance on an Avanti?

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

An answer to JBoyle's question might be that in 1962 the Pierce-Arrow name wasn't worth enough for someone to register its use. The old car hobby was still a hobby then, not the big business it is today. I know Studebaker also entertained calling the Avanti "Packard" but again in 1962 the name "Packard" was so well thought of in South Bend that they got rid of the "Packard" part of Studebaker-Packard Corporation.

Studedude1961
            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
            X