This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Biggs... question

Ok....so what did that 54 you looked at after the Peterson show look like?

And better yet what did the Ford powered Stude look like?

I was also going to take a look but decided I don't need three project cars. His 54 was going to be the C/K wagon I was talking about the other day.

The 54 Champion was one sweet car. Sweet in that it was SO WELL preserved. Trunk floor showed original shiny paint glaring back at you. I was really interested in it.

The 53 coupe (351-powered) had a Ford Torino front clip and a Ford rear end. It looked to be pretty nice overall too. Had a 55 dash cluster fitted with what looked like a 70s vintage Caddy tilt wheel working a rack & pinion setup. Upholstery was redone and in good shape if a bit mundane. Paint (what I could see of it in the fading twilight) looked decent save for a spot on the right rear corner of the hood. Looked like a repair had gone bad there.

Thing is, the guy was basically trying to talk me out of buying them. Even stood there and argued that the price advertized was not what I said it was!

That said, I left with the notion that I might take the 54 Champion K-body for what the advertized price was (we agreed on that one's price) I'm not one to pounce on something without thinking it thru. So it was Tuesday before I called him to say I wanted to buy the 54 Champion and he'd had a change of heart. Now it was take both of them or nothing. Maybe some would think that kind of manuver was OK - I don't. I'm willing to play - so long as the rules don't get changed in mid-game.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks.
      Yea, when I called Saturday morning...it seemed they were under the impression I wanted both cars too. I had thought about the Ford powered car but I'm always weary of the way many weld on front "clips". Especially on the thinner Stude frame material.
      And they werent taking any less money than than they asked for! So with the weird phone call..and as much as I wanted to see the cars...I went TV shopping!

Comment

The guy was/is quirky (aren't we all, to a degree?[}]) But when he had the gall to stand there and argue that the price which was on the internet wasn't the price that was on the internet, I started to detect an increasing aire of BS.
        Said he has an R2 driveline for sale as well. Wanted ME to set the price. I don't play that game.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Quirky?? MrB-you're mentioned in the march issue of TW. Do you realize you just spelled FORD correctly? I really thought you thought it was FURD.
          Buying and selling can be fun. Guy came in today,'how much for the Studebaker'? I said 'its not for sale' He said no-how Much? I said OK,I'll take 4k for it. He says 'oh no,it needs too much work!'
          [V]

1960 Lark
          1961 Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yeah, I had a momentary lapse of rightness. I try to not to let that happen too often. I have a reputation to keep, ya know[}] Furd, Biggs - FURD.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
            X