Steering gear lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering gear lube

I think my Ross steering box needs some lube. How do I check for lube level? What kind of lube should I use? The service manual says to use Kendall 400 or Kendall 200. Dont think I would find those now.
    Thanks all[:I]

John Ratliff

John: There is a small pipe plug on the top surface of the box that is removed with, IIRC, a 3/8" wrench. Remove the pipe plug and the lubricant should be full to the top of the hole.

Kendall 400 has been NLA for years. From time to time, I and others have endeavored to find a suitable substitute. Many people wind up topping off with 90/140 gear oil, but that is not thick enough.

A lady in La Mesa CA by the handle 9GWoman has been selling a lubricant in a caulking-style tube that is supposed to be a Kendall 400 equivalent. However, I have never seen the product or been able to take a sample to a lab and have it compared with original Kendall 400 (I've still got two carefully-preserved tubes of real Kendall 400!), so I cannot vouch for her product one way or another. [:I]

Her website is www.9gwoman.com, if it is still up, on which would be ordering information and specifications. I am not aware of any off-the-shelf product available at your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) that is a satisfactory replacement for Kendall 400. [V] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John: There is a small pipe plug on the top surface of the box that is removed with, IIRC, a 3/8" wrench. Remove the pipe plug and the lubricant should be full to the top of the hole.

Kendall 400 has been NLA for years. From time to time, I and others have endeavored to find a suitable substitute. Many people wind up topping off with 90/140 gear oil, but that is not thick enough.

A lady in La Mesa CA by the handle 9GWoman has been selling a lubricant in a caulking-style tube that is supposed to be a Kendall 400 equivalent. However, I have never seen the product or been able to take a sample to a lab and have it compared with original Kendall 400 (I've still got two carefully-preserved tubes of real Kendall 400!), so I cannot vouch for her product one way or another. [:I]

Her website is www.9gwoman.com, if it is still up, on which would be ordering information and specifications. I am not aware of any off-the-shelf product available at your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) that is a satisfactory replacement for Kendall 400. [V] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, Studebaker International sells steering gear lube in a caulk tube also. Do you know anything about that? I bought a tube for my 52 because it is leaking stickey fluid. I also bought a gasket and seal set, but I haven't used them yet.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Bob, Studebaker International sells steering gear lube in a caulk tube also. Do you know anything about that? I bought a tube for my 52 because it is leaking stickey fluid. I also bought a gasket and seal set, but I haven't used them yet.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

You're right, Leonard! I'm embarrased to admit that even though I've been out to SI twice in the last month, I keep forgetting to ask Ed about that stuff. I THINK it is the same product as 9GWoman sells, but I'll check with Ed Reynolds next time I see him. My oversight. BP

Comment

You're right, Leonard! I'm embarrased to admit that even though I've been out to SI twice in the last month, I keep forgetting to ask Ed about that stuff. I THINK it is the same product as 9GWoman sells, but I'll check with Ed Reynolds next time I see him. My oversight. BP

Comment

I can't remember who recommended 90-140 gear lube, but thats what I used in my fresh rebuilt box. So far so good.......

1963 GT Hawk

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

I can't remember who recommended 90-140 gear lube, but thats what I used in my fresh rebuilt box. So far so good.......

1963 GT Hawk

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

1963 GT Hawk

Brian K. Curtis
                    [:0] Not really good, Brian, assuming your Hawk has a Ross Box...which I am sure it does. [V]

Best to suck out all the 90/140 you can and replace it with the product Ed Reynolds sells through SI. I am not sure what that product is, [}] but it's got to be closer to Kendall 400 semi-fluid grease than is 90/140 gear lube: 90/l40 just doesn't have the film strength to hold up under the extreme friction in those Ross cam-and-lever steering gears.

(I've been trying to figure out for 40 years why Studebaker stayed with those stupid Ross boxes [xx(] in Hawks after the recirculating-ball Saginaw units worked out so well in the 1961 and newer Larks, but I guess it's the same reason they never updated the Hawks to suspended pedals; just not enough sales volume to warrant the engineering changes and costs necessary. The Hawk always was a stepchild...a glamorous one, to be sure, but not the bread-and-butter product.) Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

1963 GT Hawk

Brian K. Curtis
                      [:0] Not really good, Brian, assuming your Hawk has a Ross Box...which I am sure it does. [V]

Best to suck out all the 90/140 you can and replace it with the product Ed Reynolds sells through SI. I am not sure what that product is, [}] but it's got to be closer to Kendall 400 semi-fluid grease than is 90/140 gear lube: 90/l40 just doesn't have the film strength to hold up under the extreme friction in those Ross cam-and-lever steering gears.

(I've been trying to figure out for 40 years why Studebaker stayed with those stupid Ross boxes [xx(] in Hawks after the recirculating-ball Saginaw units worked out so well in the 1961 and newer Larks, but I guess it's the same reason they never updated the Hawks to suspended pedals; just not enough sales volume to warrant the engineering changes and costs necessary. The Hawk always was a stepchild...a glamorous one, to be sure, but not the bread-and-butter product.) Bob

Comment

"What alot of folks are doing now is draining that oil completely and refilling the steering box with C-V joint grease. This is the stuff used to lubricate the C-V (constant velocity) joints on front-wheel drive cars of today. It's probably superior to the old "Kendall 400" which Studes used for years. And the nice thing is - it won't leak out! Available in ANY auto parts store. Comes in a squeezable tube for easy installation."
                        MR. BIGGS 03/31/05 Thread

Dick
                        Mountain Home, AR

Dick
                        Mountain Home, AR
                        http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

"What alot of folks are doing now is draining that oil completely and refilling the steering box with C-V joint grease. This is the stuff used to lubricate the C-V (constant velocity) joints on front-wheel drive cars of today. It's probably superior to the old "Kendall 400" which Studes used for years. And the nice thing is - it won't leak out! Available in ANY auto parts store. Comes in a squeezable tube for easy installation."
                          MR. BIGGS 03/31/05 Thread

Dick
                          Mountain Home, AR

Dick
                          Mountain Home, AR
                          http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Been using the 9GWoman in my 64 Cruiser, had no problems. Car is a dailey driver.

Comment

Been using the 9GWoman in my 64 Cruiser, had no problems. Car is a dailey driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X