This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" 61 Cruiser

Last summer wjile at the SDC International Meet in Spokane, I bought a running 61 Lark Cruiser and had it towed to Utah where I live. The body is pretty straight and the engine seems fine (I believe its a 259 with 2 barrel carb). My original plan was to use the engine to get my 59 going again and also use the fenders to replace my 59's. Only after I bought it did I realize that the fenders are yaller on the 61. So now, after much discussion with my wife, I have a new plan - part out the 59 and restore the 61. Any advice would be helpful. Two big things concern me at the moment - no exhaust (ripped off somehow [V])and a pretty rough interior.

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm new to the forum, but I've been a Stude owner since 1989.

Rich Pease
    Ogden, UT
    59 Lark 2dr
    61 Lark 4dr

If your '59 just needs front fenders, you can get 'glass ones from Dan Webber. As for exhaust, Silvertone sells direct replacements in stainless, or you can get stock style pipes from SASCO. For the interior I would check with SASCO first; they have a lot of '62 upholstery still so you might get lucky with your '61.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate,

Thanks for the direction. A question about exhaust - SASCO has stainless and non-stainless mufflers, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks.

Rich Pease
      Ogden, UT
      59 Lark 2dr
      61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Stainless will last twice as long (and cost twice as much).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks. I think I'll stick with regular since I need to put the whole dual exhaust (pipes and mufflers) back on.

Rich Pease
          Ogden, UT
          59 Lark 2dr
          61 Lark 4dr

Comment

rich, there's some good, solid Lark fenders here in Central California but the place that has them is strictly "cash & carry". No shipping No way No how.
            They were $50 apiece last time I asked but I haven't jumped on them because it's just something else I have to deal with hauling and storing. (Ugh![xx(])
            But.... if you were coming by this way or knew someone with a truck that was............

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the fenders, unfortunately they are just the tip of the iceberg with the 59. I can only afford to do one or the other and the 61 is much further along (actually runs, straight body, decent glass) than the 59. My plan is to finance the 61 by parting out the 59. I did swap seats today and the 61 looks 100% better with the split buckets than it did with the broken down bench. I also got the headlights and tailights working, but I still have no brake or turn signal lights. I'm going to start taking pics to document the whole thing and maybe I'll get her in shape for the coming Salt Lake Zone Meet.

Rich Pease
              Ogden, UT
              59 Lark 2dr
              61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Rich; the turn signal and stop light fuses are on the insulator board on left side of steering wheel under dash, I would start there. The stop fuse also works the dome light if the switches (door & on light) still work. There may be corrosion on terminals of the flasher unit or it could be bad or loose power wire etc. get a bright flashlight to get a good look under there and test the circuits with a test light. Also both the turn. sig. and stops are actually controlled by the turn sig. switch under steering wheel, stops only work when turn sw. is in neutral, if the sw.is worn or loose it may not disconnect left & right turn to allow stop lt. sw. to work. Also check it, by jumpering the 2 wires together. You have a very neat car if you own a '61 Cruiser, as it is very unique in that it has the cool look of the '59-'60 rear glass, but is taller and comes all the way down to the deck unlike the '59. The all other'61 sedans have that ugly (in my opinion) completely different rear glass. Take care of it though, that glass is a one-off, one model 61V-Y, one year only piece!

StudeRich
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich, first of all great screen name - I would use it if you hadn't already gotten it []. Second, thanks for the tip on the signals. I dropped the car of to get mufflers and pipes today so when I get it back I'll check that out over the weekend. What's the easiest way to get the steering wheel off in order to access the turn switches? The dome light works fine on the rear driver and both passenger doors, I think they unhooked the driver door, so the fuse must still be good. I also looked at the stop and turn bulb and both filaments looked ok.

I'm really excited about the exhaust, because my wife will no longer complain about the car being heard three miles away

Rich Pease
                  Ogden, UT
                  59 Lark 2dr
                  61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Rich. you will need to buy a standard steering wheel puller, you use the small 1/4" bolts with the puller kit or buy them to pull a Stude. wheel. Your local NAPA or other "real auto parts store" NOT accessories (junk)[V] auto parts store like Checker/Kragen/Schucks! should have em!

Rich. G.(at Studebakers Northwest) http://studebakersnorthwest.com

quote:Originally posted by richpease

StudeRich, first of all great screen name - I would use it if you hadn't already gotten it []. Second, thanks for the tip on the signals. I dropped the car of to get mufflers and pipes today so when I get it back I'll check that out over the weekend. What's the easiest way to get the steering wheel off in order to access the turn switches? Rich Pease
                    Ogden, UT
                    59 Lark 2dr
                    61 Lark 4dr
                    StudeRich
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Rich. you will need to buy a standard steering wheel puller, you use the small 1/4" bolts with the puller kit or buy them to pull a Stude. wheel. Your local NAPA or other "real auto parts store" NOT accessories (junk)[V] auto parts store like Checker/Kragen/Schucks! should have em!

Rich. G.(at Studebakers Northwest) http://studebakersnorthwest.com

StudeRich, first of all great screen name - I would use it if you hadn't already gotten it []. Second, thanks for the tip on the signals. I dropped the car of to get mufflers and pipes today so when I get it back I'll check that out over the weekend. What's the easiest way to get the steering wheel off in order to access the turn switches? Rich Pease
                      Ogden, UT
                      59 Lark 2dr
                      61 Lark 4dr
                      StudeRich
                      Ferndale, WA
                      Rich,

Thanks for your help. I was looking at your website, do you have any 61 bumpers or full wheel covers?

Rich

Rich Pease
                      Ogden, UT
                      59 Lark 2dr
                      61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Well, I took the Cruiser in to have mufflers and exhaust added as well as having the brakes bled while it was up on the hoist. Good news, pipes and mufflers are done Bad news, all four wheel cylinders are shot and the inner u-bolt on both sides are gone. [V] Good news - SASCO has what I need far cheaper than any local guy Bad news - they can't ship them until next Wednesday

I have started taking pics of the car and am hosting an album on webshots, the url is http://community.webshots.com/user/richpease

Since I am on a limited budget, this will be a multi-year project, but I'll keep posting as I go.

Rich Pease
                        Ogden, UT
                        59 Lark 2dr
                        61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Those brake lines on the axle are kind of cute as well... might want to consider replacing those with something actually cut to length... just a thought

also you may want to remove and carefully store that driver's side taillight lens until you're done with your resto; those are gold...

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate,

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to tackle the brake line this week. As for the taillight lens, it's actually been broken and repaired once. I'm trying to find some replacements, but it seems from the discussions I've read that my best option is to modify some 59 lenses and pray that I can find the original in somebody's attic.

Rich Pease
                            Ogden, UT
                            59 Lark 2dr
                            61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Hi Rich. this is StudeRich, Yup, that's the car I saw on e-bay ! I am not sure, but I thought it was in Colorado or Utah. It had a replacement 289 full flow block from a '63 and no exhaust, also showed original paint in trunk that was the pale yellow color and had that wrong front panel from a '63 on it, or somehow someone had stuck a '63 Grille on the '61 Panel which is different than '63 because of the depth from hood to grille and I asked him if the '61 mouldings would go back on the front panel because of the wrong depth, I didn't think so, he had no clue what I meant. But he didn't even know it was a Cruiser or that the Grille and or panel were wrong! He was moving on to a pickup resto or something and selling it, I guess the buyer did not keep it. Interesting car, it looks a bit more green in your pic's than it did on his, they were very blue, but I guess that is common in various lighting, cameras and monitors (mine is set for "high 24 bit color" and 1024X768 Pixels and seems correct.) I also see that it had the rare & new for '61 option (only on Cruiser), a 289 engine! I guess that from the finned drums and model 44 rear axle. Amazing what a pic can do!
                              We have a few '61 (black trim)type wheelcovers (used) in stock also more of the same shape, different paint for '59-'60 Larks, very few of the '61-'63 bumpers with the flattened center, and I don't want to ship them-pickup only. Contact me at rich@studebakersnorthwest.com

Nate,

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to tackle the brake line this week. As for the taillight lens, it's actually been broken and repaired once. I'm trying to find some replacements, but it seems from the discussions I've read that my best option is to modify some 59 lenses and pray that I can find the original in somebody's attic.

Rich Pease
                              Ogden, UT
                              59 Lark 2dr
                              61 Lark 4dr
                              StudeRich
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...