This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question on 289 & a hello

Hi everyone. First post. I am a Jeep guy who just picked up a '57 Willys Wagon with a 289 engine from a '57 Studebaker truck. That was a direct swap back in the day. Both chassis and motor have around 37k original miles. When I poke around the NAPA site looking for parts, what do I look for? They list the following models of truck for that year: 3E5 Transtar, 3E6, 3E7, 3E11, 3E12, 3E13, & 3E14. It will start and run, it just won't stop (no brakes)!!

I have been lurking around here for a few weeks and can tell you guys are just as rabid about your Studebakers as our family is our Jeeps. I hope you will treat me gently.

P.S. Check out the hubcaps.

Jeep guy with a Studebaker 289

Many 1957 Studebaker trucks came with a 259 engine. Only a 2 ton 3E40 came standard with a 289 in 1957-1958. If the engine came from a more common half ton pickup , it would likely be a 259 from truck model 3E-7. What is your engine's serial number (left, front, top of block - a stamped number)? From that. I can determine what size engine you have and what model truck it came from.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look for the serial number.

Jeep guy with a Studebaker 289 (maybe LOL)

Comment

If you find that engine serial# it'll look like it relates to the truck model. It doesn't. But we can help Parts are easy to get - for the engine. Jeep brake parts, I don't know about. BTW, those are 64-65 Stude wheelcovers if you weren't aware.

BTW, with a few exceptions, it's hard to beat the knowledge and service of our Studebaker vendors.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

O.K. I got a chance to take a look at it. Here's some info. The top of the block, passenger side has a raised number: there is a "3" by itself, then below it is "535601"
          The intake in the rear has "1551828" (or 1551328 maybe).
          It sure looks like a 1 bbl carb. The top is round, about 2-3/4" in diameter. The air filter housing has a 2-1/2" hole.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

You need to look at the top of the block , drivers side. THe serial number if there is one, will be on a machined pad. It will be a stamped number, NOT cast.

Replacement short and long blocks were shipped without serial numbers , supposed to have been stamped with original engine number by installer.

Comment

Thanks Transtar60. I don't know who put all that dirt and grime on my engine, but underneath it all I found this - V5I3306.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Cincyjeeprs

Thanks Transtar60. I don't know who put all that dirt and grime on my engine, but underneath it all I found this - V5I3306.

Looks like a 259 out of a 1961 passenger car.

-Dick-
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Cincyjeeprs

As Dick says, its a 1961 259cid V8. Thats why the key to figuring out the engine is in that serial #. BTW on Studebakers, the "I" represents the number 1 on engine and vehicle serial #s.

Dont be too disappointed, the 259 is a sweet running little engine.

Comment

Thanks, all. Guess I'll change that sig.

I am not disappointed at all. Maybe those 170 horses won't break the rest of my drivetrain quite as quickly. The Willys came with a 105 HP flat head 6, and THAT was an upgrade over the 63 HP FH 4! I think a 289 with the Paxton might have been a little too much. LOL.

I grew up in Warren, Ohio, home of Packard Motors, of course. Everything in Warren is named Packard this or Packard that. I lived in a house behind one of W.D. Packard's sisters. She was a lttle old lady by that time, but had a really nice well kept house.

The Packard Museum has a few re-badged Studes from the last gasp years. Wow, they are sweet!!

Jeep guy with a Studebaker 259.

Comment

Working...
                    X