This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAMPING PLANT DEMO TO BEGIN 2/24

As most are aware, the old Studebaker buildings 79, 80, 82 and 83 are to be torn down as part of South Bend's Studebaker Corridor project. Richard Quinn has written a excellent history of these buildings in his popular Almanac column in the February Turning Wheels. Here is a copy of the invitation Mr. Quinn received from the South Bend Mayor's office. Mr. Quinn added the black border to register his feelings regarding the upcoming "celebration".

BShaw
    60 Hawk
    39 Champion
    49 2R5

Sigh...
    Another piece of history being bulldozed. But seriously, that old building is in wretched condition now. Seemingly no market for it as it was, and maybe too costly or too fraught with environmental hazards to rehabilitate it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to take the "unauthorized" tour of the place during the last meet in South Bend.

(cues up CD of Billie Holliday singing, "They Can't Take That Away From Me")[8D]

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Sigh...
      Another piece of history being bulldozed. But seriously, that old building is in wretched condition now. Seemingly no market for it as it was, and maybe too costly or too fraught with environmental hazards to rehabilitate it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to take the "unauthorized" tour of the place during the last meet in South Bend.

(cues up CD of Billie Holliday singing, "They Can't Take That Away From Me")[8D]

When you took your "unauthorized" tour, did you take some "unauthorized" photos that you could share with us?

I understand that Transpo, (city bus line), bought that land and plans to build a maintenance facility. A facility to replace their current one--the old street car barns.

Even though the buildings are derelect, it's still sad to see a historic part of my home town disappear.

Comment

StudHawk60 said: "When you took your "unauthorized" tour, did you take some "unauthorized" photos that you could share with us?"

Funny you should ask. I do have some. It was pretty gloomy in there, but a few turned out.

One of them even features a fellow Forum member, not that I would name names.

Pics are not digitized. Once I get home, I will scan a few, and see about finding a way to post them.

Comment

OUR INVITATION TO THE STAMPING PLANT DEMOLITION CAME ALSO. SO MY WIFE, SON AND I ARE GOING TO DRIVE OVER TO SOUTH BEND FRIDAY. SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET SOME PICTURES AND A COMMEMORTIVE BRICK...I'M NOT SURE HOW TO POST THE PICTURES THOUGH.

JIM
          sigpic
          Jim

Comment

Hope some of you who attend the final demise of the plant can get some pictures for those who can't be there. Reading some of the articles about the demolishing 2morrow, at least they'll be reusing approx 80 % of whats left of the material. Seeing pictures of whats left of it now, its hard to imagine what it was like during the years of production . It'll be just like here in Jersey. 20 yrs ago, they demolished the old Ford plant in Mahwah. Riding by it, you'd never know they made Tberd's & Fairmonts there unless you were around when the plant was up & running. Now its has a hotel & Sharp Electronics H.Q.

Comment

sad the factory is going

Comment

I HAVE BEEN TALKING TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THE DEMOLITION OF THE STAMPING PLANT, AND ARE PUTTING ON THE CEREMONY, THEY SAID ANY SDC MEMBERS ARE WELCOME TO COME FRIDAY... BRING YOUR CAMERA... THERE WILL BE SOME TENTS SET UP WITH COFFEE AND PARKING. YOU SHOULD RSVP THE CITY OF SOUTH BEND AS PER THE INVITATION...

JIM
                sigpic
                Jim

Comment

Some good pics of the stamping plant are at:

Studebaker Stamping Plant, photos by Tom Kirsch / opacity.us

Comment

Tony,
                    Thank you for sharing those great photos with us. As far as I'm concerned, they're priceless relics.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                    X