This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Dealer Engine Display Stand

This is an old engine display stand that came out of a Studebaker dealership many years ago. I've had it about 15 years, and have actually been storing an engine on it.

Has anyone ever seen one like this? If anyone has an idea of what year or years this was available to dealers, I sure would like to know. Richard Quinn, do you know?

I will try to post a picture below. If that does not work, or if you want to see the rest of the pictures, go to my Yahoo Pictures album at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/r1skytop/my_photos
    and click on the 'Studebaker Dealer Engine Display Stand' album.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Never saw one before, I suspect the dealers that had them tossed them out after the V8's came out.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

First one I've ever seen. Cool!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My guess, based on looking at the graphics and the information contained on it, is the 1949 model year. The Commander engine displacement was increased to 245.6 cubic inches for 1949 and the horsepower went up to 100 (from 94 in '47-'48).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Paul;

That particular style engine stand was first offered in January 1950. The cost was $16.95 FOB Kalamazoo, MI. In 1951 two different styles were offered one to accommodate the Champ Six and the other for the new V-8. That means the one you have was only offered for a relatively short period of time (i.e. 1950). Yet an earlier type was offered in 1948. It was Champion only ($15.50). I have seen a few of these various styles over the years at different dealerships I visited. The Studebaker National Museum has one. Johnny's Motors in Gardner, Massachusetts (est. 1936) had one when I visited there some years ago. I passed on it due to lack of space to get it home and what I thought was its exorbitant price (at least for that time). I have the original Studebaker sales flyers for all of those mentioned above. If interested send $3.00 each and an SASE and I will send them.

R. Quinn
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

So Paul (r1lark),

Are you going to put a rebuilt 1950 Champion or a 1950 Commander engine on that stand?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Paul;

That particular style engine stand was first offered in January 1950. The cost was $16.95 FOB Kalamazoo, MI. In 1951 two different styles were offered one to accommodate the Champ Six and the other for the new V-8. That means the one you have was only offered for a relatively short period of time (i.e. 1950). Yet an earlier type was offered in 1948. It was Champion only ($15.50). I have seen a few of these various styles over the years at different dealerships I visited. The Studebaker National Museum has one. Johnny's Motors in Gardner, Massachusetts (est. 1936) had one when I visited there some years ago. I passed on it due to lack of space to get it home and what I thought was its exorbitant price (at least for that time). I have the original Studebaker sales flyers for all of those mentioned above. If interested send $3.00 each and an SASE and I will send them.
              R. Quinn
              Richard,

Thanks very much for that detailed info. I kind of figured you would have the answers! I will take you up on the offer of the sales flyers, and will get a letter out to you tomorrow or Friday.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Richard - I am sure that you have more literature and experience on this sort of Studebaker item than I do. Maybe you can explain where/why my answer was incorrect. For Commander engines, I thought that the horsepower was 94 for 1948, 100 for 1949 and 102 for 1950. It looks to me that the engine stand says, "New Commander Engine...100 HORSEPOWER." I thought that would make it a 1949.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary; You may very well be correct. Starting in c.1939 the Studebaker Parts and Accessories Division began the practice of sending out to dealers single sheet flyers pushing accessories. Sometimes this would consist of overstocked items offered at special net prices and in others they were items introduced in mid model year that were not available at the start of production and therefore would not have been in the original accessory catalogs (i.e like the AC-2799 '56 spoke type hub caps). These are generally well illustrated and I find them to be a very valuable resource frequently accessing them if I have an inquiry for accessory information. My collection of these parts and accessory bulletins numbers in the hundreds and is fairly complete. In checking them over looking for the engine stand Paul inquired about I found the one mentioned in my previous post dated January 1950. It is, of course, possible that a previous bulletin was sent in 1949 that I do not have. In any event there is no faulting your logic in speculating on the '49 date.

R. Quinn
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

So Paul (r1lark),

Are you going to put a rebuilt 1950 Champion or a 1950 Commander engine on that stand?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    How great would that be as a display in the man-room, eh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:How great would that be as a display in the man-room, eh?
                      Man rooms are great, don't know what I'd do without mine! Got a new toy for mine today, the light on the left just arrived.

Dave's Place
                      Studebaker Emporium
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

So Paul (r1lark),
                        Dillo,

I had a rebuilt V8 shortblock on it for about 15 years. Only thing was that you couldn't see the writing because I had it wrapped to prevent any damage to it.

I really don't have the room to display my small Stude 'stuff' (cans, bottles, service pins, etc, etc) much less something this big. Besides, I don't have a '50 Champion or Commander! But, it would look really cool with a complete Champ or Commander engine, totally restored to 1950 colors, etc!

As much as I hate to, it will probably go to eBay, so someone else who does have the room to put it on display can get it.

Paul

Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                        X