This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No advertising of cars on the SDC Forums

I think this stinks. This is a forum to talk about aspects of our Studebaker hobby and believe me, most of us guys LIKE to see a poor forelorn studebaker that needs rescuing for sale!

Many people do not have axcess to the turning wheels free ads, and many of us are not allowed the several month lead time to place an ad in TW if the cars have to be moved now.

Kent Fedor
    SDC member, Reed City, Michigan

The Internet age does bring an increased interest in "instant gratification" and creates a new need. As Kent mentions, the lead time for putting ads in print is very long. In principle, though, anyone here ought to be getting Turning Wheels. Everyone reading/posting is a dues-paying SDC member, right?

Every organization has policies. I guess we see what official policy is on the forum with respect to "for sale" ads. SDC set up the forum, they get to make the rules. There are several other choices:
    1. The alt.autos.studebaker newsgroup. If you haven't got a news reader program on your PC, search on Google "Groups" for alt.autos.studebaker. You can read without any other action, but need to sign up to post. It's free, though. Post all the ads you want.
    2. Keith Johnson's Swap Page on his site.

Both "for sale" and "wanted" ads here. Free. No sign-up, either.
    3. Ebay. If you put something up for sale there, the audience is certainly bigger. It may take a litle skill or practice to write a good ad and you need to pay Ebay something. It certainly is a true market and you may find a buyer willing to pay a very high price. It works, it's fast.

But, I think we need to be able to "think out loud" on the forum. We should be able to say things like, "I want to buy a 1967 Studebaker Ultramax but I need to get rid of the '55 Stude sedan 4-door sedan sitting in my driveway. If only someone would give it a good home..." After all, this is the place for people to talk about Studebakers they have, cars and trucks they want, and old iron they are thinking about shooting in the head. I think we should have some very interesting discussions about this issue.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I agree. I have some items I was about ready to post that I would like to take to York for the meet there. The TW is too slow to get an ad to move stuff. The other issue is that not everyone is a member of the SDC that comes to this forum. Some folks have been told about it and show up here for various reasons. I see some posts of people that would like to sell a car or truck that belonged to there uncle or grandfather or whomever and have no real desire to be in the club, they just want to find a home for the vehicle. I am not crazy about this "new" rule. I think it is a real mistake.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I can see restricting venodrs from laying out their wares here, but the individual with a car or one or two parts that are in his way - what's the harm?

And I have to side with Dan here that we DO have folks who have no desire to own the Stude that Gramps left them and yet care enough to find a good home since Gramps would want that.

I hear and understand the rule OK. I just think we're due the rationale behind it. I'm willing to read it objectively and decide if it has merit or we need to work to change it.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

No, Gary. Not everyone reading and posting is a member of SDC.

I can say that ads I have sent to Turning Wheels via their email address usually appear in as little as three weeks. The advantage of emailing an ad is it can be copied and pasted rather than retyped for publication. And, as has been stated, those ads are available to all non-members via this website, which is entirely paid for by the paid members of SDC, many of whom don't even have access to a computer.

Policy is not stating we can't discuss ads or direct people to reliable sources. It basically says DON'T POST YOUR AD ON THE FORUM!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Gary , my wife says I "need" to get rid of all 3 of my Studebakers Of coarse she always says I never listen to her
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

2R5 ,you're not saying your cars are for sale are you????

Studieous Maximus
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Well lets say , I'm not giving you my wifes number thats for sure
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Well, Brad, I did suspect that not everyone reading and posting here is a paid-up member. My philosophy is that after one reads for a while and finds that there is value in the content, that one OUGHT to be interested in joining up and paying dues. I am constantly amazed by "ding-a-lings" searching for a simple part who won't pony up $27.50 to get a membership and receive Turning Wheels with all of the information and vendor ads. I'm sure any Studebaker owner can save $27.50 a year by looking at the ads, even if they never join a chapter or come to a meet. I understand that some people do not want to be to close to a club. But, my dues and yours do pay for this forum. Maybe that gives all of us some "right" to express an opinion - and a vote - about what can fly on the forum, as opposed to bureaucratic decision making. So, everyone VOTE!

I agree that sending in ads by email has the added advantage of accuracy. I'm sure that computers have improved the quality and cut the lead times of Turning Wheels and every other magazine. About 65% of my chapter (Ocean Bay, Mass. and RI) has an email address. The other 1/3 are not into computers and may never be. Too bad for them, because they could share this forum and manyy other aspects of Studebaker life on line. I do wonder about some of the chapter members who have email addresses but claim to only read their email once a month of so. My stepmother got into computers in her 70s and kept at it for 20 years. We can all learn, so we should help other club members who could be on line.

And, yes, my wife also has some opinions about what lives on the driveway and in the Studegarage. She thinks a GT Hawk would be the correct next acquisition as HER car.

Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, MA
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The one disadvantage I see about ads in TW is so far my issue arrives here in Canada 2-3 weeks later than you folks in the U.S. On the web it is an even playing field.
                    Todd
                    P.S What about a members only classifieds forum?

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Like some of you guys have expanded on, this forum gives people who have an "inherited" stude or trying to save one from the crusher the chance to offer it to a SDC'er to often save it from the crusher or uncertian fate.

Most of these individuals don't even know SDC exists till they see this site and moreover it isn't practical for them to become a member just so they can place a free ad that takes at least a month to appear in TW.

Honestly whoever came up with this "rule" is a type of individual who loves making rules just for the sake of making them and has no concept of reality or what the forum users want. They are trying to make a polite "politically correct" message board of no damn substance.
                      Kent Fedor
                      SDC Member, Reed City, Michigan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash

My philosophy is that after one reads for a while and finds that there is value in the content, that one OUGHT to be interested in joining up and paying dues. I am constantly amazed by "ding-a-lings" searching for a simple part who won't pony up $27.50 to get a membership and receive Turning Wheels with all of the information and vendor ads. I'm sure any Studebaker owner can save $27.50 a year by looking at the ads, even if they never join a chapter or come to a meet.
                        All I'll say is that the real "ding-a-lings" searching for a simple part can find those vendors without TW by doing a simple internet search. I joined the club to access knowledge. The parts are not that hard to find. Those 'non-club' people that access this site will not pay $27.50 to sell their car. They do come here and give club members the first shot at the car before it goes to Ebay, Auto Trader, or worse, the junk yard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Lakeland, FL

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Non-members who start using this site are probably interested in Studebakers and, unless they are real dummys, will soon become SDC members to take advantage of all SDC offers.
                          A larger club will be able to offer more - economy of scale.

sumf

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

quote:Originally posted by garyash

My philosophy is that after one reads for a while and finds that there is value in the content, that one OUGHT to be interested in joining up and paying dues. I am constantly amazed by "ding-a-lings" searching for a simple part who won't pony up $27.50 to get a membership and receive Turning Wheels with all of the information and vendor ads. I'm sure any Studebaker owner can save $27.50 a year by looking at the ads, even if they never join a chapter or come to a meet.
                          All I'll say is that the real "ding-a-lings" searching for a simple part can find those vendors without TW by doing a simple internet search. I joined the club to access knowledge. The parts are not that hard to find. Those 'non-club' people that access this site will not pay $27.50 to sell their car. They do come here and give club members the first shot at the car before it goes to Ebay, Auto Trader, or worse, the junk yard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Lakeland, FL

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Comment

Just to stir the pot a little,what do you think of this wagon (and no,I don't own it)

Comment

I sent an email to the webmaster, here's part of his reply:

Mark, the real issue at stake here for many is what will happen with Turning Wheels advertising revenue that (along with dues) funds the magazine and website if vendors and members can advertise cars, parts and services for free on the club's own website? Many fear that will decline and make the magazine of less value to the members. To many in the SDC that's akin to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Plus, there is concern that the Internet ads give an unfair "advantage" to those without Internet access.
                              I'm not saying I am in agreement with those concerns but they do raise valid questions. How do we protect the value and legacy of Turning Wheels in the face of the growing trend for "instantaneous marketing" via the Internet? How can make online classifieds and the magazine work in harmony? Those are the issues that need to be thought through, expressed to and debated with your elected SDC representatives that set club policy....and frankly, I see
                              little good that can come from members arguing about it amongst themselves in public as if they were a lynch mob looking for a rope and someone to hang.

To me, you CANNOT "protect the value and legacy of Turning Wheels in the face of...instantaneous marketing". The internet is here to stay, and whether or not forum members can post for sale items here doesn't really mean much. I think most anyone that posts here on a regular basis is smart enough to know the other places for sale items get posted without having to rely on Turning Wheels. So, that's not going to change. What needs to change is Turning Wheels needs a forum where SDC MEMBERS can post for sale or wanted. If they want to publish those in the magazine, so be it. But you cannot stop progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X