This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Stude

Looking to buy a Hemi-Stude. Prefer engine to be from a 52 thru 54 DE Soto. 276.1 cu.in. Smaller displacement as I want it to be economical. Jeff can you help? jimmyjim oops! I spelled my handle wrong. jimmijim

There is a '55 2dr sedan Hemi Stude on ebay right now! $6K

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Use a Dodge Red Ram they are about 100 lbs lighter than the De Soto and an easier fit in the early C's and K's the Desoto is almost as big as the 392 Chrysler and will hit the hood on the early cars.The big Chrysler is 750 lbs. 30" long, 31 1/2" wide and 32" tall. The De Soto is 625 lbs. 27" long 27" wide and 33" high. The Dodge is 495 lbs. 25" long 26" wide and 34" tall the heights are all with air cleaners.Now the Stude is 685lbs. 26" long 24" wide and 28" tall. Put on a set of Hot Heads aluminum heads and the Dodge is lighter than a SBC. and they go up to 271 ci. But a Hemi is like a Avanti there is nothing as expensive as a cheep Avanti.

Comment

I had a '55 DeSoto as a hobby car for quite a few years. It had belonged to my uncle and he gave it to me when he bought a new '73 Chrysler. [xx(] Anyway, the DeSoto had a 291 hemi, and 2 speed Powerflite automatic. Tuned to the teeth, the car couldn't get more than 11 mpg. So I wouldn't expect a small, older hemi to get good gas mileage if that's your goal.

On the other hand, with a stick shift and different gearing, who knows? Maybe it would do ok. My DeSoto had a 3:73 rear axle.

Comment

Lee Aandarud (sp?) in Columbia, SC is building a Hemi powered Lark as we speak.
          The one hemi/Stude sedan that was sold at Barrett-Jackson just showed up on Ebay as a fraud listing (so that doesn't count)...
          Do a search on Ebay for Hemi...
          You will be surprised at how many engines are floating around, just looking for a new home.
          Most of the more affordable engines were the smaller displacement ones..
          Finding a Stude with all the swap work done would be rare, and probably expensive.
          Good luck.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Looking to buy a Hemi-Stude. Prefer engine to be from a 52 thru 54 DE Soto. 276.1 cu.in. Smaller displacement as I want it to be economical. Jeff can you help? jimmyjim oops! I spelled my handle wrong. jimmijim
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There is a website discussion forum for enthusiasts who rebuild the early Hemis and swap them into lighter, newer(60's) cars. Been awhile since I looked at it, but it seems that, according to their discussions, many early-hemi major parts would also fit on the "polyshere"(pre-67)small-block(318, 325, 354, etc.) Because the 57-58 392's are so scarce anymore, they seemed to favor the 331 and 354, since they are easier to find.

Comment

Working...
            X