Dwain G.

OOhh thats cruel!!!

Studieous Maximus
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

OOhh thats cruel!!!
      It's kinda "cute"... in its own way.

Reminds me of a story, ([:0]) along the line of the "Most stupid questions ever asked" thread.

I love watching folks at car shows, especially the "experts." Once while showing 'Sheba, I observed a very large man, leading some children on an educational tour of the cars on display. I noted how very serious he was, as he pointed this and that out to the kids. "Now, listen children, you are here to learn!"

I watched with great anticipation as he approached a Met, lowered himself to one knee, and looked below the back bumper. (Not a small task for a man of his stature.) [xx(] (He was, perhaps, a plumber?) [:I]

"OK, Kids," he 'splained... "This one has been modified, but when it was new, you could drive it right down a boat ramp, run around the lake with it, drive it back up the boat ramp, and head home with it. The prop has been removed from this one, so it will only run on land now." He was so pleased with himself, having educated the masses! [^]

I don't know that I've been as awe-struck/inspired by a person's knowledge of old cars since that experience... and I have observed many others! (Did you know 'Sheba is a Jag, powered by a V-12?! She is, because I heard that '"splained," (at another time, another place) too!) []

Fortunately, (but rather to my disappointment,) he didn't share any of his (probably vast) Stude knowledge with the little ones. In a way, that may have been a good thing, as I don't know that my nose could have spewed any more Dr. Pepper at the time. [)] The children seemed to be equally impressed! [|)]

(The paint job of the Met that was the object of this history lesson, in no way resembled Mr. Biggs' nicely well done, wonderful, patriotic paint scheme.) [8D]

Dave's Place
      Studebaker Emporium
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Come on guys, be nice to Biggs. He couldn't have owned it, the paint job alone qualifies it as beening modified![}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude_s

Come on guys, be nice to Biggs. He couldn't have owned it, the paint job alone qualifies it as beening modified![}]
          I think you modified "being" to "beening"

-Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
            Thanks, Just got that modified thing on my mind!

PS. Still love your hardtop!

Comment

My Transtar was originally white & copper. I modified it by making it red & white. Then after 9/11 I added the blue/starred fenders. When it gets repainted (this year I hope, it'll go back to just red & white.
              Let's not talk about the Turner brakes and the Buick wheels.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.BiggsLet's not talk about the Turner brakes and the Buick wheels.[V]
                MY lips are sealed!

Dave's Place
                Studebaker Emporium
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

I see a Met' sitting along the road every time I go through Varna,Illinois. Been tempted to find out if its for sale,but it just won't 'fit' my budget right now. Besides,if I had it,everybody would probably ask what year Studebaker it is! This one has the props removed too!

Studieous Maximus
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My Uncle John bought a turquoise & white Met new, back about 1959. I was just a little kid, but was fascinated with the car. He liked it a lot and drove it for a few years. Then one day he was stopped waiting for a school bus when a lady in a Plymouth came up behind him and decided to use his brakes instead of hers [:0]. That was the end of the Met. Uncle John got out of it uninjured, amazingly.

Comment

When I was a kid my parents had a black and white one . All i really remember about that car was when i sat in the back seat i had to lean forward because your head would hit the back window if you sat up straight . Glad my mom didn't get rearended ! I wouldn't be here probably
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Early in 1964 (IIRC) we were looking for a car for Cathy to use to go a short distance to work. We looked at a couple of Metropolitans. They looked cute, but they seemed to run out of steam when you got them up to about 45 mph. We re-gained our senses and bought her a 1961 Lark Regal sedan with 259 V8 and AT. It was an excellent car.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X