This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-1/T-10 Needed for Restoration

I've recently purchased(Nov '05) a '63 Avanti that originally had the R-1/T-10 powertrain when it left South Bend. Over the course of time, the car was sent back to the Avanti II factory and mechanically rebuilt. A 350SBC/T400 were installed along with Avanti II interior and wiring to support the changes.

I am a purist who would very much like to find and reinstall an R-1/T-10 driveline. I have found several restoration shops here in SoCal who are able to assist in the actual restoration, however we are "against the wall" in obtaining the driveline. Timeframe to start the work is right after the 45th Anniversary meet in Palm Springs in April. If a suitable drivetrain cannot be found, I will have to "HotRod" that Avanti and use it as a weekend "Testosterone Cruiser".

If any of you have an engine or tranny that fit this requirement please contact me @ 760-Five Hundred-Ninety Seven, Forty-Two.

Any 289 can be converted. You'll need the Avanti water manifold, water pump and pulleys, oil pan, cam and the chrome and stainless bits. It won't have the R1's high compression, but that's a good thing. I just sold a water manifold on ebay, still have the water pumpo pulley.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Contact the following individuals, one of them is sure to have the parts you need.

Dave Thibeault
      John Rodhouse
      Carl Lange
      Jon Myer

All are members of SDC.

Good luck, can't have any bowtie excrement in a Studebaker.

Comment

Working...
      X