• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti roll bar

From my e-mail:

All:

See attached on how RQ-A0206 saved my life. When a Chevy Silverado &
    >another GMC PU met a Plastic Dream Machine on a rainy roadway the last day of January, 2006!? Does anyone know who was the person who made the decision to install that Roll Bar in the original Avanti? I would like to give my thank; because it was the only thing that kept 6,000 lbs of Chevy Silverado from the drivers seat I was in!?

Studebaker Drivers Club Inc
    Atlantic Zone Director
    Peter Crisitello

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod

The roll bar was one of the 14 key design "musts" that Loewy and Egbert insisted upon. So the next time you go to church say a prayer for Sherwood H. Egbert, who rests in Studebaker heaven.

Comment

I can't imagine another car of that vintage that would have been that safe.
      I'm glad you escaped in one piece...too bad the same can't be said for your car.
      Will you rebuild (rebody) it or is it in semi-Stude heaven?
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It's Peter's car, not mine. I just posted the info from a e-mail.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

WOW![:0] I feel glad for Peter and sad for him at the same time. Cryin' shame![V]

Looks like that '66 Ambassador wagon is good to go tho.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am really saddened to see that damage to the Avanti. It sure shows how well they are built.I hope it can be repaired. I was involved in a somewhat similar accident (my fault) in 1969 with my Avanti. I took a direct shot in the driver's door from a (get this) 1940 Mercury. It hit me hard enough to knock me off the highway and down an embankment.I was fortunate enough to only have scratches and my passenger was unhurt. It was hard enough that I bent the steering wheel in an oval shape where my hands were gripping it. It was fortunate that the damage was confined to the door and didn't hurt the hog troughs.I was able to have it repaired.

Comment

Working...
            X