This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the Stromberg Carburetor Company

Can someone give some background and eventual end of the company that made Stromberg carbs? They seem to have been used on many foreign and domestic makes (including Studebaker) until the early 60's, foreign perhaps longer and then poof. They seem to have even made a 4bbl carb at one time. The guys as Vintage Speed (http://www.vintagespeed.com) seem to think there is a business of making the model 97 again.

Thanks

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

I don't any real details of what happened, but I have read that a CEO by the name of Agee decided to get them out of the automobile business. There was a big mess surrounding a hostile take-over of Martin Marietta Corp.
    Stromberg was an old division of Bendix which used to have many different divisions. The only current reference I see is Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC (they make brake equipment for tractors and trailers) and they are a division of Allied Signal. (What a coincidence!)
    The Stromberg name has been revived by a British company. Whether they bought the name because they previously made carbs under license or just assumed it I don't know.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Although there is no mention of one another on their websites it would stand to reason that Strombert Carburetor Ltd. and Vintage Speed must be collaborating since they have similar goals and offerings, as far as the carbs go.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
      X