This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Stoplight Switch

I would like to convert my '64 Daytona to a mechanical stoplight switch. There is a suitable mounting hole in the pedal support that looks like it might have been put there for that purpose, but there's not a lot of room.

Has anyone made this conversion? Does anyone know of an available switch that will fit?

Jim Bradley
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

I doubt the hole you mentioned is there for the purpose of a B/L switch. That said, there's lots of mechanical switches out there to adapt.
    Go to NAPA and explain to them what you're trying to achieve. Ask them to show you their parts book that has all the electrical doo-dads shown with pictures. (they'll do this at my local store)[:I]
    With the dimensions of that aforementioned hole in hand, look at switches and choose a few likely candidates. Then kindly ask if they'd retrive a few (assuming they HAVE the ones that interest you) from the back shelves for you to fondle, measure and compare.
    I did this with my Transtar truck and with a station wagon I had some time back. Found great substitutes to adapt and did so!

BTW, if you find one that's a good and easy swap, don't forget to share your findings here.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just go to your nearest FLAPS and in the HELP, the red blister packs are switches for a number of different cars that I can not mention here will work with a small bracket being made. Oh! and some slight rewireing.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Just go to your nearest FLAPS and in the HELP, the red blister packs are switches for a number of different cars that I can not mention here will work with a small bracket being made. Oh! and some slight rewireing.
        I'd second that motion, Alan. I could add, though, that if Jim is feeling adventurous, he could go to an electrical supply house and get a microswitch. There's nearly an infinite variety of microswitches out there, and many have sufficient current-handling capacity to do automotive tasks. One could probably find a switch with both NO and NC contacts, and 1/4" spade terminals. All one would have to do is fab a little bracket to hold the leaf or button against the brake pedal arm when the pedal is retracted.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yeah. Geez - I've got a bunch of mico-switches layin' around here from my old machine control days![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun
            Has anyone made this conversion? Does anyone know of an available switch that will fit?
            I made this swap first on my brothers 64 Daytona, and then reproduced
            it on my 63 Avanti. Works GREAT. The hole you are refering too is
            in fact perfect for this modification. If its NOT there for this, it
            is one HECK of a coincidence. Its been 10 years since I did the mod,
            and I dont have any of the info, aside from crawling under the dash,
            you just find one that fits the hole size. Wiring is EASY, it just
            goes "in line" like the factory hydrualic switch did. I just put some
            "bullet connectors" onto some red wire and ran them through the hole
            in the firewall and to the new switch. Easy stuff.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X