This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe someone can help

Back in the mid '60's, in Hamilton Ontario, Harvey's Drive-in was the place for all the automotive action. A friend of mine drove a '62 Dodge with a 413 ci engine. It was pretty hot. One night a couple of clean cut guys came through with a new Studebaker (Lark? Daytona?) looking for some action. My friend took them up on it. Well these guys just blew his doors off! Keeping in mind that Studebakers were built in Hamilton then, using GM engines, I remember the speculation was that this one might have had a factory 396 in it. Does anybody know if this might have been the case. It was very fast. These guys could very easily have been factory corporate types. They were not young kids.

Thanks

Studebakers always had fast cars. Studebaker introduced the Speedster in 1955, followed by the Packard-engined Golden Hawk in 1956, and the supercharged 1957 and 1958 Golden Hawks. In the 60s, they had R1 and supercharged R2 and R3 engines that were faster than almost all cars of the day, and are even faster than many late 60s cars. Check out the Pure Stock Muscle car drags. Look for Plain Brown Wrapper and Stude Tomato, Ted Harbit and George Krem.

Hamilton police bought several of the factory supercharged cars, and there wasn't any car of the day that DIDN'T get caught.

These were all Studebaker-engined cars. In 1965 and 1966, they purchased and used 6 cylinder motors and 283 V8 MacKinnon industrial motors for the cars. They did not ever need or put in a 396.

Paul

Comment

Engineers being engineers, who knows what was in that car. If this was after the South Bend plant closed, it could have been an L-79 327 (350 HP) as used in the Nova SS in '66 and '67. There was also a 300 HP 327 the was installed in just about every mid '60's Chevy but the Corvair.

Of course it could also be any of the R engined cars left over from before hand as an engineering 'toy'. I've seen enough of the 'toys' by the Big 3 to know nothings impossible. For all any of us know, it could be a Mopar 340 or a Ford 289/302 (oh, let the screams begin [:0]). It's surprising what engineers will mock up for fun and giggles .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom,
        Question.........

Did you ever spend time on the deuce....in NYC?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Tom,
          Question.........

Did you ever spend time on the deuce....in NYC?
          ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

In 1965 and 1966, they purchased and used 283 V8 MacKinnon industrial motors for the cars.
            Let's not start that one again

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...earchTerms=327,

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tom, contact me off site and I will explain that question I posed to you.

Comment

Working...
              X