This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark fender differences

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 1962 Lark fender and a 63? I found a 62 and wonder if it will fit my 63.
    Thanks
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

all fenders are the same 61-66 with only trim changes. It will fit fine and I don't think you will have to change anything, trim/letters/etc are the same 62-63.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Huh ?? 64-66 are the same, not 61-66.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Todd, that 62 fender will work fine on your '63.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Todd didn't specify front or rear fenders, '62-'63 fronts do interchange, and the rear quarters (fenders) are interchangeable from '62-'66

Comment

Duh. you are right, I was thinking front fender and shape of cowl. any fender 61-66 will bolt to any car 61-66 but yes the front edge of the fender changed in 64. so for a 63 you would want a 61-63 front fender preferably 62-63 so you don't have to fill trim holes. The rear quarter is the same 62-66; the '61 still had the "stubby" body style.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Sorry for not being clear on front or rear. It is front I am asking about. I thought I read somewhere that since the cowls were changed for the non wraparound windshields for 63 the fenders wouldn't fit from a 62.. The fellow selling this fender has listed it for 60-62 only so it raised a red flag.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

The 62 will fit fine.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That listing isn't correct; 59-60 are different, 61-63 are the same. Yes the windshield is different in '63 but that doesn't affect the shape of the front of the cowl. I guess Stude only had so much money each year for sheetmetal changes so they redesigned the car a little bit at a time, which means that stuff is interchangeable that you might not think would be. You could put a '66 front clip on a '61 if you wanted, it would bolt right up.

You could actually use '61-63 fenders on a '59-60 or vice versa, but the shape of the fender right behind the front wheel is different, so it would look a little odd. The rest of it is pretty much the same.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

OK, first a few disclaimers...[)]

1) I will never say that I know enough about these cars to say someone else is wrong. I've always been a 'by the numbers' kind of guy. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

2) The following is based on information out of the '59-'64 parts book.

All fenders from '59-'64 show a seperate part number. This implies there are differences between years. What those differences are, it doesn't mention. It could be nothing more than a possible change in supplier, or it could be...?

Again, this isn't to imply the information is wrong, just that each has a seperate part number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The front fenders from 1959 to 1963 are similar, but not all the same. The different part numbers are mainly due to trim hole placement. The physical difference lies at the lower rear of the fender (the last three inches). The early ('59-'60) fenders had a wide section to match the wide rocker panel and the later ('61-'63) fenders have the narrow section to match the narrow rocker panels. 1964-1966 fenders will bolt on, but have an entirely different shape/pressing. The net is that a 1962 fender will fit your 1963.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm not aware of ANY difference whatsoever between a '62 and '63 front fender, wonder why the part nos. are different?

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

difference in trim holes![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I'm trying to think what trim holes could be different and I'm coming up dry. They use the same stainless and the same "LARK" letters...

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The part numbers are also different by model. Hardtops and convertibles, year to year, are different than other models. The same with sedans. I would think holes on replacement panels would not be drilled until delivered. As it is, there are 2/3 different fenders listed for '64 models alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X