X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 & 8 cyl 12 volt starters

Can they be interchanged?
    If not what can be used from a 6 cyl starter to fix up an 8 cylinder one.
    I have some 6 cyl starters but only 8 cyl cars.
    These are all 12 volts.
    All are for automatic transmissions.
    I have both delco and autolite.
    Thanks
    Paul

No. Nothing's gonna change between Delco and Autolite (except whole starters![:I]) Little stuff like brushes, brush holders and springs will (to some extent) interchange within one brand. Looks like alot of the Auto-lite used one bendix drive whereas the Delcos used two drives between 5 starters.
    Without knowing exactly WHAT starter and WHAT parts you wanna swap around, the answers are endless or non-existant.[xx(] But by and large, you're not going to swap one or two parts and make a 6 starter work on a V8 car. Maybe Dwain will chime in here if he knows I'm wrong. I've not dealt much with the late 6cylinder stuff.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A number of years back I used to go to a friends that rebuilt starters and generators and would go through his stuff to find 48-52 Caddy ambulance Delco starters. Then take the Stude Delco nose and put it on the Cad housing. With a big pile of starters it was still a treasure hunt. Now I go to the swap meet and buy one of the Ford or Chevy mini atarters and take a 6" diam. X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum and make my own adapter for the stude.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

A number of years back I used to go to a friends that rebuilt starters and generators and would go through his stuff to find 48-52 Caddy ambulance Delco starters. Then take the Stude Delco nose and put it on the Cad housing. With a big pile of starters it was still a treasure hunt. Now I go to the swap meet and buy one of the Ford or Chevy mini atarters and take a 6" diam. X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum and make my own adapter for the stude.
        I used to use the housings, including field coils, from straight eight GM cars, but these were all six volts. The question is about 12 volt applications.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had no intention to swap parts between makes.
          I no longer have a problem with Delco.
          I still have 3 Auto-Lite starters with # "MBG 4113 6P" on the tag
          and # "MBG 4113 9P" on the tag.
          Does anyone know if these can be made to work on a V8 and how?
          Thanks
          Paul

Comment

Gary, The 6 Volt starter works better than the 12 and everything inside is bigger, as long as you do not grind and grind on them they will last in a 12 V. application a long time.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Gary, The 6 Volt starter works better than the 12 and everything inside is bigger, as long as you do not grind and grind on them they will last in a 12 V. application a long time.
              Yes, I agree and have much experience with them. I was mainly trying to turn the thread back to the 12 volt starters that the original poster was asking about.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

MBG 4113 starters were used in '61 on 6 cylinder cars. You may be able to use the case with the field coils and brushes, but the armature, nose and bendix would probably be specific to the V-8's. At least that's what I found out for my '64.
                Tim K.
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

[u]SO you can use the 6volt and hook up a 12 volt battery? Then what change the bulbs?</u>

Comment

Yes, you can expect long life outta that 6volt starter on 12 volts. there's not even an issue with the polarity change to negative ground when switching to 12volts. The starter doesn't care - it just spins faster! You'll need a 12volt solenoid tho.
                    But the other electrical items on the car - THEY care![}] bulbs, heater-defroster motors, O/D components, electrically operated instruments (generator and regulator, of course), horns, electric wipers (if you have them) - they'll all care about a voltage upgrade.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Paul as I read your question it was would 6 CYLINDER starters mix with V8 starters. Most of the replies seem to be adressing 6 VOLT units. Did I miss a gear somewhere? I do have a checked out starter from a '64 259 in my surplus parts if you need one.

Comment

The replies received somewhat went off track from my original question.
                        I was mainly interested to know if I can use the Autolite 6 cylinder starters in a V8.
                        I have determined that it cannot be done, because the neck of the 6 cylinder Autolite is longer then the V8.
                        I was succesful in converting some Delco by changing the nose.
                        Having just retired I am busying myself with rebuilding engines and mechanical stuff in the winter.
                        I now have 10 starters that I rebuilt and they should last longer than me.
                        Thank you all for assistance.
                        Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X