This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude-spotting (again)

Well, I ventured north yesterday. Went to get the two side windows cut for my Provincial wagon. If you remember an earlier thread, I waded thru what I thought were outlandish quotes until I found a glass guy that would cut the windows I needed at a price I could tolerate. And I'm happy to say that I was tickled with the results!
    It's great to watch an old pro ply his craft and Tom certainly qualifies as an old pro! Watching him FREEHAND scribe the laminated glass - first on one side and then on the other.... That's artistry borne of experience![^] A little bit of alcohol, a bit of glass flambe, a few minutes on the belt sander and wala! Fresh, sparkling clear (tint, that is) side windows![:0][] $30 bucks apiece! WITH the electric window channels firmly installed on their bottoms, thank you.

Wow Tom! Geez, I gotta get the windows out of my 57 2-dr and have you make a set for me!
    He looked at me over his glasses and asked: "Any chance they're clear (not tinted)?
    "Yeah, as a matter of fact, they are."
    "Oh hell, I can give you a way lots better deal on clear windows! I bought a bunch of clear awhile back - just cause it was dirt cheap. But of course, everybody wants tint! So now I've got a barn full of clear that's going nowhere. Yeqah, I can give you a much better deal on the clear."
    "COOL!" I gushed. "I'll get those things to you soon."

BTW, again, if you'll recall, I'd sold Tom's brother a 2R17 a couple of years ago. And so I asked how that thing was coming along.
    Tom said: "Weeeelll, last I saw it, it's still behind his garage, where we unloaded it. He's been busy with his '49 Starlight coupe. Don't know when he'll get around to that ol' truck."

Tom had other things to do and my departure was was quick. Actualy, in spite of the blustery weather of the day, I'd spotted a pair of 2R trucks from the freeway as I was going to Tom's place. I wanted to see if I could get a closer look on the way home. And also - I wanted to check out a Pick-a-Part wrecking yard that I'd not been too in over a year. Not that I have much hope of finding Studes in these quick turnover yards any more but ya never know.

As I got out of my truck at the P-A-P yard, one of the threatening clouds opened up. If it hadn't been that it's 65 miles from my house, I'd have said fooey and headed home. But I DID have an umbrella behind the seat and so I decided to take a stroll thru the yard just for kicks.[:I]

Any more, the yards are pretty much full of 80s and up stuff. I did see a couple of 50s Ford trucks and two Corvairs that looked lost. Then, while walking the rows of Mopar offerings (they have the various makes segregated in this yard), I jumped one big puddle and stopped cold. There was a '64 Commander - right in front of me! What tha.......[:0]
    Then I noted it had others of it's era for company. a couple of 60s Polaras, a 67 American hardtop (with V8 no less!) and even a 55 Willys Custom 4-dr sedan! There was even a '65 Dart ragtop and about a 50 Plymouth as well. Cool!

Of course, I checked out the 64 Commander first![] 259 - 3spd O/D it was pretty much all there. Someone had taken out the dash and extracted the inst. cluster and radio. But what was left was laying on the rear of the car.
    Everything on the engine was there save for the T-stat housing and the air cleaner. Even all the original V8 drum brakes are there. A great conversion setup for someone.
    The floors had some rust-thru but not bad. Rear seats were gone and the deck lid had taken a good whack, dead center. But most of the car's exterior trim was in good shape.

I'm gonna go back and scavenge some stuff off this thing for ebay. Maybe when I take Tom the glass patterns from the President.

Even the little Willys was interesting. Most of it was ther

Hey Bob , nice finds there. Always nice to see old studes being discovered, maybe someone will restore some of them . Those trucks look very interesting ( since I'm in the middle of restoring mine)
    This Tom that does glass does he ship stuff at all ? I'm going to be having someone make me up all the glass for my 2R5 down the road , and it doesn't need to be tinted either
    Anyways nice pics !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

That's one of the neatest yards I have ever seen. From the pics it looks like the cars are parked on well manicured lawns! []

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Todd, they do try to keep the clutter off the ground in those yards. Helps keep their liability ins. down. The monkeys that work there are constantly going thru the yard and tossing all the loose stuff back inside the cars.

The "Lawn" look is just moss that's sprouted with the recent rash of rains we've been having. As soon as it starts to get hot here (May-June), it'll be powdery sand again.[V]

2R5, I can assure you that Tom won't ship. He's kind of a gnarly ol' guy (but nice) who is usually doing a mobile glass service out of his big van. It was only because it was raining that he wasn't doing glass in the field or cruising on his 20-thousand dollar Yamaha bike.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A couple of minor footnotes to the 64 Commander I found. Body tag (now on my desk[}]) reads 64V-Y4

Too bad it hadn't been 300 Y-4s later. The body # would have been 1964 instead of 1664. By chance - anyone got a body tag where the number happens to be the year as well? I've seen such thru the years. Never collected one tho.[V]

Also, this particular 64 bore the serial# 64V-9911 which makes it the 8,910th 64 V8 car outta South Bend.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X