This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASDCAR

The following is the front page text from our January newsletter. I offer it in case anyone wants to adopt the idea for trial within their own chapter. This is our advance version awaiting a committee to firm the rules up.
    Your improvement suggestions are welcomed.

I think thats a great idea. I belong to the Hamilton Chapter and vry few members bring their cars out to functions ...this could work
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

This looks like a good idea. It appears to be an extension of what the Keystone Region Chapter has done for years. Are you not counting '55-'57 Packards, some Pierce Arrows, first series (1964-1969) Excaliburs and Avantis (1965-1991) on purpose?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Lark, I belong to the Indy Chapter and drive my Studebaker everyday. How many points is that worth[8D]?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

This looks like a good idea. It appears to be an extension of what the Keystone Region Chapter has done for years. Are you not counting '55-'57 Packards, some Pierce Arrows, first series (1964-1969) Excaliburs and Avantis (1965-1991) on purpose?
          We were not aware of another chapter using this idea. We thought it originated in our own futile brains..

We did not include cars that we hated and did not want to see.
          Just kidding.

The committee will consider your input (especially the Avanti) but I can't see how driving a 55 Packard furthers the goal. Seeing someone driving a 55-57 Packard hardly brings Studebaker to my mind. While it may have Studebaker-Packard on the nameplate of the 55 Studebaker, I don't recall seeing it on the plate of the 55 Packard I used to own. If it is there I wouldn't recommend their inclusion because it does not further the mission of promoting SDC, Studebaker, Chapter, etc.

We are trying to keep it simple and avoid lawyering for points.
          Judges decisions are final -- until we are sued by a lawyer.
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Hey Lark, I belong to the Indy Chapter and drive my Studebaker everyday. How many points is that worth[8D]?

Zero points for that. Driving a Studebaker every day is reward and satisfaction enough.

sigpic

Comment

What a great idea! I drive at least one of my Studes everyday, which would mean I always have one at the local meetings. Except those two or three while my '65 was being painted and the '57 Commander was broke in 2004- (the others are stored 1400 miles from here...) so maybe three meetings the ENTIRE time I've belonged to a Chapter of SDC- be it in Washington (N. Puget Sound SDC), California (San Diego County SDC), Florida (NE Florida SDC), and even South Georgia! This summer will be 20 years...

[8D]

StudeDave
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
              '57 Commander 2dr
              '57 Champion 2dr
              '65 Cruiser
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Originally posted by 65cruiser

Zero points for that. Driving a Studebaker every day is reward and satisfaction enough.
                Driving a Stude IS satisfying, ain't it?

Comment

How come the 55-58 Packards are getting bashed ? I have a 58. Its basically a Studebaker in Packard clothing. It was made with Studebaker parts, in the Studebaker factory. Its got a Studebaker engine with a Packard sticker slapped on it. It was built by Studebaker employees. Give the "Packardbaker" some respect.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

How come the 55-58 Packards are getting bashed ? I have a 58. Its basically a Studebaker in Packard clothing. It was made with Studebaker parts, in the Studebaker factory. Its got a Studebaker engine with a Packard sticker slapped on it. It was built by Studebaker employees. Give the "Packardbaker" some respect.

AS STATED:The rules were a hurry up effort to get them out to the INDY CHAPTER members before the next meeting and they will be reworked by the committee at a more leisurely pace.[B)]

AS STATED: The 58 Packards were included within the rules and that was in the original post above -- which should be carefully read.
                    The 57 Packards were left out inadvertently -- thank you for your comment and they will undoubtedly be included.

The PURPOSE of the contest guides why points are awarded.
                    AS stated before, When I see a Detroit-built 55 or 56 Packard, it doesn't make me think "Studebaker" or "SDC".
                    If the 55,56 Packard has an SDC windshield sticker or a Studebaker/SDC license frame, or a "Keep America beautiful, Drive a Studebaker!" bumper sticker --- the judges will probably award points.
                    Whatever promotes the STUDEBAKER namesake of the SDC. (The purpose of the contest.)
                    That's just my opinion and I look forward to whatever is formalized by my chapter's committe in the coming months.

The points rules were posted as an idea provoker only. If your Chapter wishes to do it differently, or not at all, I'm pretty sure that will be fine with our judges .
                    sigpic

Comment

any extra points for landing the B-17 at bendix gift park?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by big jim

any extra points for landing the B-17 at bendix gift park?
                        For maximum points:
                        Land a Stude engined B17,
                        Unload a Studebaker built ocean mine from the bomb bay using a Studebaker-Clark fork lift,
                        put the mine on a Studebaker Civil War gun carriage.
                        and pull the carriage to the meeting with a garden tractor ( Help, I forgot which make tractor),
                        and then chug a can of STP ( taken from your Studebaker goat wagon) for refreshment,
                        as you polish the tractor with a Studebaker product,
                        while getting interviewed along with Mr. Ed on TV.

sigpic

Comment

Gravely

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          51 Champion
                          Phil

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          56 Power Hawk
                          Phil Hendrickson
                          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Acutally, the 55 & 56 were the last true "Packards". They were manufactured in the Packard factorty which closed in 1956. The 57 & 58 are the "Packardbakers" which were built in South Bend..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

Gravely

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              51 Champion
                              Phil
                              Gravely! That's it.[)]
                              "Clark" should have been "Clarke", also.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X