This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Capsule stoarge bag

Has anyone used the "CarCapsule" bag to store their car in.. Also there is a more expensive bag called the Permabag made in Europe..
    I store my 57 HAwk in my unheated garage and am a little concerned about moisture...
    Thanks Dick
    PS You may see my 59 & 59 hawk on my attached link

No idea on the bag, except to see how much electricity it uses..
    But,
    I like the pictures of your Hawk.
    That blacked out grille looks pretty stylish...
    But a yellow frame?
    There has to be a story there
    Tell us more!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by richnan

Has anyone used the "CarCapsule" bag to store their car in.. Also there is a more expensive bag called the Permabag made in Europe..
    I store my 57 HAwk in my unheated garage and am a little concerned about moisture...
    Thanks Dick
    PS You may see my 59 & 59 hawk on my attached link
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi Jeff
      The Grille is not blacked out... Just the angle of the pic.. Frame is por-15, That was done before I bought it.. As for how much juice the bag uses, all it has is a 12 volt ( 120 volt stepdown ) fan.. I have included the link to the bag... www.carcapsule.com
      Thanks for the flowers.....
      Dick

Comment

I would think if the bag can't breathe the moisture will condense as the temperature drops.

Comment

I've seen types like this that pump in warmed air so as to keep any condensation out .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The bag has a fan in the end that is suppose to replace the air 3 or 4 times an hour.. It runs all the time and also is what keeps the bag inflated..Their add says it gets rid of any condesation Sounds good to me, but would like to hear from someone with one..

Comment

Dick,

I have used a Car Bag (originally called Omni Bag). The company is in Bath, MI (call 800/522-7224). They have a good web site to ck what size to use. I have stored my '50 Champ Starlight Coupe in a bag for 12 Michigan Winters. It works great! My neighbors now store their motorcycles in their sheds in a sealed bag.

I don't know how a bag with a fan blowing cold Winter moist air can keep a stored car properly. My car is in the sealed bag next to 3 other daily driver family cars all Winter with salt dripping everywhere. On April 1st (cocconed since each Dec 1st) I just unzip the bag, take off the cotton cover, put in the battery and JUST DRIVE. I don't even have to wipe it down. It is as clean as the day I zipped it closed! The former SDC Prez, local chapter member John Begian, stores his '63 Super Hawk in the same manner. It is simply the ONLY way to go. I am also storing a second car, a '64 R1 Hawk that I bought at South Bend in May'05, in a sealed bag also.

The big thing about sealing the car is that it is like a time freeze. The guys who store their motorcycles in sealed bags first bought into the system because bare metal rotors DO NOT rust at all while in storage.

Well, enough said. I'll answer in more detail if you need any additional help on this.

Regards, Harv [8D]

StudeBakerHarv
              StudeBakerHarv
              * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine).
              * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).
              * 1960 Lark Regal VIII Convertible.

Comment

Thanks Harv..
                I checked out their website & it sounds good.. I will probably go this way.. It will be too late for this year, but i may buy the bag for next year..

Comment

Those bags sound like a nice thing for protecting cars in the frozen northlands. However, here in sunny southern Arizona we have a little critter called a pack rat that seems to find them a rare treat. Once these critters chew through the bag, they enjoy a winter-long feast of wires, hoses, plastic parts, and anything else chewable. They also love to fill the underside of the hood with cactus, and leave their little offerings everywhere. I know this from personal experience--in a matter of 5 weeks they did several hundred dollars in damage to a nice, original 47' Chevy pickup in a bag. If you use one, check it often for critters.

jj

Comment

I live in Old Car Hell, where even though we have a minimum of salt on the roads, the humidity eats the cars up, year around. It is interesting to hear about these bags, though. It(or a variation of this) may be just the solution to keeping them fresh here. When I saw this thread, I happened to think of the 1957 Plymouth that is buried in a concrete bunker beneath the grounds of the Tulsa (Oklahoma) County courthouse. It is scheduled to be um, exhumed (if you will), and awarded to the winner in a raffle in 2007, the 50th Anniversary of the time capsule that was placed there along with the car. The Oklahoma climate, in general, is fairly easy on old cars. But, who knows what has happened to that new Plymouth, due to ground water seepage, in the last 49 years. We'll just have to see, I guess.

Comment

JJ, Dick & All,

Very interesting about the warm/hot climate critters. There is probable no perfect way to bag a car in that circumstance. The Car Bag should work great in all of the northern areas as I can attest. We have field mice that get into cars stored in garages up here. They sneak in in Oct-Nov and start to nest. Since I like to keep my cars on the road as late into the Fall as possible (early-mid Dec) I may have a mouse make his way in. When I unzipped the bag a few Springs ago I found a scrawny little dead mouse on the floor that either sufficated or starved to death. The was NO signs that he made it into the car anywhere (no found schredded paper or insulation).
                      They don't appear to eat thru the bags up here, so far.

Another thing that we do is place the absorbant dessicant packs all across the floor under the car and inside the car on the floor mats. This definitely absorbs any trapped moisture. I also place two 34oz coffee cans, each half filled with loose coffee and with no lids on top, on the floor at the front and rear of the car. This trick absorbs all odors so that when the bag is opened there are no fuel or oil odors. I have also recently started placing a moth cake block in the car. Maybe that is why there have been "0" mice seen the past few seasons.

That's it for now. Harv (on the road in Memphis)[8D]

StudeBakerHarv
                      StudeBakerHarv

Comment

Harv--just curious. Where do you obtain the dessicant bags? I was thinking about them for using in storing parts that I've got.

Comment

Bob,

You get about 10ea 8"x8" paper bags each filled with the absorbant silica when you get your Car Bag order. I understand that this sort of dessicant may also be available at places like boat & rv storage facilities. Happy hunting.

Cheers, Harvey [8D]

StudeBakerHarv
                          StudeBakerHarv

Comment

On the line of stuff to keep your car smelling good and also discourage mice from going in there; try your wifes dryer sheets , Bounce I think they are called. Mice don't like them and when you open your car up in the spring it will smell as fresh as you nice clean laundry
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                            X