This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember These?

Some things I have quit trying to explain to myslef, let alone What's Her Face... like why I now own this thing.

I found it in an old gentleman's attic this morning, and he sold it to me. What a guy! The canister is NOS, and came complete with TP! The bracket is used, but he let me take it from another unit he had. He has a third installed on his '56 Ch**y.

I think I remember discussion here about these filters, but have forgotten about half of what I read. I bought it just because I thought it was unique, and perhaps collectible? Now, I'm sure I'll learn that I can buy one at NAPA. <G>

This one is made by Sky Corp., Stockton, CA. It also has a "FRANTZ" logo on it, in an oval. Is this a play on "Fram?"

Ah, another dust collector!

Yup! I just saw the one on my '57 Commander about an hour ago! I'm sure my Dad will chime up about them soon- he swears by them being better then alot of others from that day and age...
    [8D]

StudeDave
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '65 Cruiser
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

You there have an origional Frantz toilet paper filter for Studes partial flow better than the old cans with the perforated and pleated paper filters but turn it the other way when you mount it or you will have a mess.

Comment

That's how mine's mounted- I just have to let it drain overnite before attempting to change it. Otherwise you [u]do</u> get a big mess!
        [8D]

StudeDave
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
        '57 Commander 2dr
        '57 Champion 2dr
        '65 Cruiser
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Well StudeDude, you got yourself a real NOS no longer available (NLA)universal, bi-pass oil filter, or as Frantz called it "Oil Cleaner" at least until their lawyers stopped them from calling it that, and changed it to "oil filter"! In lab. chemical tests it has been proven to remove many microns finer particles than any other available filter out there. It works so well that Sky Corp. recommened NOT changing oil, because their lab tests showed that it also removes acids which would be the only reason to drain it, since the frantz removes the sludge, carbon, metal etc. The detergents in the oil do deplete, so changing the toilet paper every 1000 to no more than 2000 miles adds a quart of fresh oil to replace lost additives. That is because the toilet paper is so much more absorbant than a standard cartridge element that it will hold and not drain off a whole quart!
          The only problem nowdays is, that the paper is hard to find with the 2 inch cardboard core like the one in that filter you have. That is Chiffon white, not scented, not colored, not embossed plain paper not available any more. I use the Scott 1000 (sheets) and a adapter ring available from the guy in Texas who bought the remaining filters and parts when Sky went out of the oil filter business (found him with a web search). I'll have to look for that info for you later, if you choose to keep this dinasaur, otherwise I, or someone will buy it!
          No, it's not a play on the name "Fram". I think It's the inventer's name.
          Hope this helps, Rich. [

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Some things I have quit trying to explain to myslef, let alone What's Her Face... like why I now own this thing.

I found it in an old gentleman's attic this morning, and he sold it to me. What a guy! The canister is NOS, and came complete with TP! The bracket is used, but he let me take it from another unit he had. He has a third installed on his '56 Ch**y.

I think I remember discussion here about these filters, but have forgotten about half of what I read. I bought it just because I thought it was unique, and perhaps collectible? Now, I'm sure I'll learn that I can buy one at NAPA. &lt;G&gt;

This one is made by Sky Corp., Stockton, CA. It also has a "FRANTZ" logo on it, in an oval. Is this a play on "Fram?"

Ah, another dust collector!

StudeRich
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Frantz made similar canisters for farm tractors. My dad changed our J.I. Case tractors over to this type filter in the late 1950s or early 1960s. He swore by them. They were sold at the Case dealer if I remember correctly (I was in high school and was thinking mostly about girls, a flathead-powered Model A, and girls). I also seem to remember the canisters held 2 rolls of toilet paper.

jj

Comment

Actually they held 3 !! That was the "Diesel" unit for larger crankcases than cars. They also made an FAA approved aircraft unit which had the same clamp they later changed them all to, -an Aeroquip locking screw type.
              These filters were only available from direct dealers and their retail distributors. It was kind of a pyramid operation like Amway, Amsoil, Sta-lube, Shacklee Products, Neutralite, Melaleuca, Esentialube, Best Products etc. Don't ask, I've tried selling um all!

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by jjones

Frantz made similar canisters for farm tractors. My dad changed our J.I. Case tractors over to this type filter in the late 1950s or early 1960s. He swore by them. They were sold at the Case dealer if I remember correctly (I was in high school and was thinking mostly about girls, a flathead-powered Model A, and girls). I also seem to remember the canisters held 2 rolls of toilet paper.

jj
              StudeRich
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I told you Dad would roger up on this one!!! Good to see you here Dad!!! [8)]
                (He's 'StudeRich', BTW!)

[8D]

StudeDave
                San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                '57 Commander 2dr
                '57 Champion 2dr
                '65 Cruiser
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I remember these! I have heard (don't know if it's true) That you have to use a good quality TP in them, otherwise the paper deteriorates and the fibers get into the oil, causing oil contamination and clogging small passages. I have no actual experience, so my opinion is total BS! Kool thing to have tho!

Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life!

Comment

Working...
                  X