This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug wires

Does anyone have any ideas as to what plug wires would be a good interchange for my Stude V-8 running a adapted GM HEI? What late 70's GM big block used a rear distributor? And yes I know the car didn't have this distributor originally. But I bought it this way and it works well.

Ihanks for any help you can give me.

KM

Kelly J. Marion

Kelly, I purchased a set of red, Pertronix universal 8MM high performance plug wires from Car Shop Performance Parts, Inc. when I purchased my Pertronix Delco breakerless ignitor for my 259 Stude V-8. had to put the caps and boots on after cutting the wires to correct length.

Car Shop Performance Parts, Inc.
    421 Twelfth Street
    Moline, Illinois 61265

(309) 797-4188

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    56 Power Hawk
    Phil Hendrickson
    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kelmbaker

Does anyone have any ideas as to what plug wires would be a good interchange for my Stude V-8 running a adapted GM HEI?
      KM - I have an HEI distributors on the Stude V8s in my '64 Cruiser and '63 Hawk. According to my records, I put a Champion #700239 spark plug wire set in the Cruiser in 1999 and a NAPA Belden #700239 spark plug wire set in the Hawk in 2001. They may both be the same kits. I may have just written down different info. I can't remember. The NAPA Belden kit may also say "Champion" on the box since the part number is the same for both. The wires have 90-degree boots for the spark plugs. They come already put together; you don't have to put the boots on the wires. The wires are not exactly the same lengths as the original Studebaker ignition wires, but close enough for a neat installation.

Dale

Comment

I redid my wires last summer and used a 8mm kit from Summit Racing. I believe it was an Accel universal that allowed you to cut the wires to the right length for your engine. You can even choose colors if you like. They come with all the tools needed to cut and crimp the wires. Your local auto parts store probably has these types of kits or can order them for you. Make sure you order one that has the HEI type plugs, some have both.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I sell the custom cut Studebaker sets from Scott Performaance Wire.(He makes MASCAR wires) I stock the 51-64 V8 and Avanti sets. $30 to youir door. I might be able to have him make them with HEI ends for a slight extra charge.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kelmbaker

Does anyone have any ideas as to what plug wires would be a good interchange for my Stude V-8 running a adapted GM HEI? What late 70's GM big block used a rear distributor? And yes I know the car didn't have this distributor originally. But I bought it this way and it works well.

Ihanks for any help you can give me.

KM

Kelly J. Marion
            The GM "big block" was introduced in 1965 as the 396. It was essentially the same motor used (various CID's up to 454) until around 2000. They all had rear distributors. The chevy "small block" (1955-2000) also had a rear distributor. The big block and small block Chevy distributors are the same (interchange).

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
            X