This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Wires

Having a slight miss-fire problem in my '51 6-cyl Champion. Not the plugs or points and I suspect the old plug wires. Long over-due for a change anyways. The connections at the distributor are somewhat loose on a couple of the wires and they don't really snap-in as they should. Perhaps the cap is the problem?

Can anyone recommend the best source for replacement wires and dist. cap?

I assume the plug wires simply feed through the wrap-around bar that retains them? It seems to be totally enclosed and is mounted to a bracket that is bolted down to the cylinder head. Is it necessary that I remove that head bolt and can I use reference marks (before removing) on the bolt and head, without using a torque wrench to reinstall?

As is obvious, I am an amateur mechanic and appreciate all the advice I can get.

Dave D.

Your FLAPS should have a new cap; as for the wires, I think that Brian Scott has had some made in new good quality silicone wire. I know that JP, Ray F. and probably others sell them. I don't have a part number for the cap simply because I haven't needed one for a six that old

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

No need to remove the bracket, you can snake the wires through that sleeve while it's still in place on the engine.

Comment

Is there a big advantage to the silicone wires or I am better to stick with the copper core. Nate, do you have a contact address for Brian Scott? Also, could you tell me what stores JP and Ray F. represent? Don't know any of these gents. Thanks for your help thus far.

Dave D.
        Dave D.
        '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
        '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Dave,
          You'll need to feed the wires through the sleeve before installing the cap ends. This may seem real obvious but...been there.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Champion51

Is there a big advantage to the silicone wires or I am better to stick with the copper core. Nate, do you have a contact address for Brian Scott? Also, could you tell me what stores JP and Ray F. represent? Don't know any of these gents. Thanks for your help thus far.

Dave D.
            Brian Scott owns the business that makes up the wires. I do not believe that he deals in any retail sales. JP is John P. or JDP on this forum. You can find his "store" at stude.com (if the site is up - he has had some problems). Look in your Turning Wheels for the Historic Automotive ad, that is also JDP/John P.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X