This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster hubcaps

I have a set of the wirewheel style hubcaps that need some work. They have split at the valve stem cut out. Has anyone had success repairing this? Also how should the spokes look? Bright? Dull? I believe these are stainless and not chrome. Is that correct?

I would appreciate any input on this.

Don Wilson

Put a magnet to it and see. and where are you?

Comment

Yes, everything about the cap except the lug bolt-down portion is polished stainless steel. They should be BRIGHT! Try a watered down (50%) mix with hydroflouric acid with a toothbrush on them. This is also used by Jaguar dealers on their old chrome wheels. Rinse very thoroughly with water. PROTECT your hands and your eyes.
      Wayne

Wayne Graefen
      '53 Commander Starliner & Starlite
      '63 Avanti R1

Comment

Don,

I've seen a number of those wire sections that were cracked where you say yours is. It must be a stressed area - and of course, the weakest part of the ring. As Still says, it's all stainless save for the "bucket" that the lug nuts hold in place.
        Anything can be repaired. In this case it's gonna take someone who's REALLY an expert at welding DELICATE stainless steel. Then it would also take an "artisan" of sorts, to grind and repolish the repair once it was done. Even with such expertise involved, it may never look like new again.
        If it were mine, I'd live with the crack.

I don't think stainless can ever REALLY mimic fresh chrome, but your wires should be as clean and bright as you can make them.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Wayne, where can one find hydroflouric acid? Alan, I am located in Centralia, WA.

I did take one of these to someone in Seattle who advertised in Hemmings and claimed he could make the repair. He also insisted it must be chrome so I did not have enough confidence in him to proceed.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

There are a couple of us down here in L.A. Myself and Ruben Palanco that repair stainless. But that is a ways from Washington, like 1,200 miles.

Comment

Alan - you know Ruben? What a kool guy he is! Is he still driving that pretty maroon Champion?[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, He was the past president of our local chapter the Orange Empire. Lives about 20 minuts west of me.

Comment

Working...
                X