This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '41 Commander Drum to Discs??

I just bought a 1941 Studebaker Commander. For the age, its in really good shape.

It has 4 drum brakes. Are there any kits out there that will convert the front drums to discs?

I looked on Ebay, but neither the steeltech or turner have kits for a 41 Commander. Perhaps another model Stude will fit?

Thanks!

Phil

Phil,

I don't think you will find a ready-made disc brake conversion for a '41 Commander. Their original brakes were pretty decent; you could do worse than simply overhaul them with new cylinders and shoes, and maybe add a dual-circuit master cylinder, and Jim Turner might have a bracket to help you with that.

A step up from there might be to replace the original brakes with servo-action drum brakes of the same size...more stopping power with less pedal effort. Exactly what "donor car" brakes would be applicable, I can't tell you.

Disc brakes ought to be do-able, but you will have to custom-fabricate caliper brackets, and search out a rotor that will be compatible with your spindles.

It all depends on what your goals are, and how much time and/or money you are willing to spend.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Aren't the '41 Commander front spindles the same as the M5 pickups? If so, they will have the same bolt pattern as all Stude pickups through 1964. Jim Turner has disk brake kits for pickups. Check the bolt pattern of your Commander and call Jim.

Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, MA
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
      X