This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes here is another one!!

Seems like the Packard and Stude wagons from the late 50's are coming out in droves these days!

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

The guys attitude sucks,"if I don't get my money out of this car Im sending it to the crusher, no matter how rare it is".
    Kinda like saying, if you don't adopt this dog then Im gonna have to put it down.
    Sure hope someone saves it.

Comment

[:0] Another one!!! Maybe the 'threat' is a way to try and get more cash out of it??? The last '58 on eBay I saw went for something like 14K, though it was in much better shape!!!
      [8D]

StudeDave
      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
      '57 Commander 2dr
      '57 Champion 2dr
      '65 Cruiser
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Yeah, I don't like his statement about the crusher, either. Like you said above, probably trying to scare someone into bidding on it.

Hey, seller, I hope you are reading this:
        "Go ahead and crush your piece of junk"!

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Nice looking car...but then again I'm a wagon kinda guy...
          anyway, what is a restored 57-58 (Stude or Packard) worth?
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Are NOS parts as plentiful for the Packards as Studebaker parts are?

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

The answer to BOTH of the questions above is quite simple- it depends on your outlook and position in life! Packards just weren't made in the numbers the Studes were (not there were many Studes made either!) so parts cars are tough to find, but they are out there, Usually on the wrong side of the country whenever I find one!!! I now know of a couple '58 Packard sedans being parted out, and some trim and body parts will work on both wagons and sedans. Mechanically they are almost all the same.

As for price- that's also a tough one. It just depends on how nice it is and if it's all there. I own a '57 Parkview which has been 'family' since before my parents even met. It's one of three (YUP- THREE!!!) 1957 wagons in my family right now, with a forth (and maybe a fifth?) on the way...
              All these cars have been had for under a grand, but they don't all run and/or drive, either. They are 'fixer uppers', missing some things here or there.

Wagons on eBay in the past include a NICE '57 Packard that went for $10,6ish and a '58 Packard that wasn't quite so nice went for over $14K. One's more rare, of course... I can't recall the last '50s Stude wagon I saw on eBay. It seems to me they never make it that far- when they are 'found' Stude people buy 'em or know someone else who does. Cars already 'in the Club' seem to stay that way- I know of a few that have gone through multiple owners over the years. You never know who's gonna have it next!!! Popular cars the wagons are!

I guess it all comes down to what the seller wants, and how much the buyer has to spend, keeping in mind that no Stude wagon is a '55 Nomad- Studes are way COOLER!!!

How many cans o'worms does [u]that</u> open up?

[8D]

StudeDave
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
              '57 Commander 2dr
              '57 Champion 2dr
              '65 Cruiser
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Here's a shot of the pink & white 58 Provincial wagon that the kookie gal from Sacto owns. This was recently featured on Car Crazy - I've been told. It's a nice-looking wagon if you like pink. Mine will be nicer in white and light blue.

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...785757_M29.jpg [/img]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

According to www.nada.com the classic car guide, the wagon is worth 4100 on the low end & 12,900 on the high end...the Hawk, which I have is woth 8900 on the low end and 21900 on the high end..But, of course, you have to take into consideration, as mentioned, parts availability, cost, etc..

Barret Jackson had a 58 Hawk last year that was frame up & went for over $40,000..One mans garbage is another mans treasure..Besides, if he sent it to the "crusher" he'd probably have to pay to have it taken away, Then whoever gets it, will probably try to sell it for the parts..

Comment

You can check out my '57 Parkview ('Betsy') at:

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm....php?cat=10037

in case you wanna she her and some of her friends...
                    [8D]

StudeDave
                    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                    '57 Commander 2dr
                    '57 Champion 2dr
                    '65 Cruiser
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi
                      To the sellers who try the "off to the Crusher" duress, my response is "so you'd rather get $50-$60 for the car (typical 2 ton car at $30 a ton scrapyard price) than whatever the buyer offers even if it is a few hundred. Seem to defuse that foolishness quickly.

That '58 wagon, from the New York City area, shows all the signs of severe rust damage rendering beyond restoration. Maybe not even many good parts to save another solid one.
                      Still I hope someone gets it that can use whatever is good that is left of it.
                      Of the sedans and wagons, it's more cost affective to buy the best one you can for the money. Reviving the rusty-crusties has to be a real labor of love, and you'd better love it for a long time.

Steve

Comment

Around here its tough to dispose of a modern type beater,even for free.
                        I recently tried to give away an old Intrepid that had a blown tranny,other than that,it "looked" fine.
                        I first tried to give it to a few of my freinds,but nobody wanted to pay to get the think hauled home.
                        Finally,with winter fast approaching and my GF defitnly didn't want it under a pile of snow on her lawn, I put an ad in the local "Free-cycle".
                        Lots of calls, one lady said she would be ther the next dat to get it,but again,no one ever showed up. I was thinking of dragging it down to an old "unoffcial" junkyard near here,thats really an old abondened gravel pit,and after shooting it up for grins,set fire to it.
                        However,my enviormentially friendly side came to its senses,just can't do stuff like that anymore.
                        Finally my GF knew a man at her work who said he wanted it.
                        There was no one home when he came to pick the little cur up, and the guy couldn't believe he had the right car,it looked way to good to be a "throw-away". He called her on her cell just to make sure he wasn't taking away someones pride and joy (G)
                        It actually looked like new inside,and not bad on the outside.
                        Mabey there just not enough real metal in these type cars for them to be worth it, even to the crusher man.
                        Shes gone,and Im now Intrepid free (a very good thing)

Comment

Bob, I remember that gal with the pink wagon in Sac'to. She was cute and I remember proposing to her. &lt;G&gt; My wife would kill me, though!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

[size=2][font=Comic Sans MS]The answer to BOTH of the questions above is quite simple- it depends on your outlook and position in life! Packards just weren't made in the numbers the Studes were (not there were many Studes made either!) so parts cars are tough to find, but they are out there, Usually on the wrong side of the country whenever I find one!!! I now know of a couple '58 Packard sedans being parted out, and some trim and body parts will work on both wagons and sedans.

StudeDave
                            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                            '57 Commander 2dr
                            '57 Champion 2dr
                            '65 Cruiser
                            CRUISER ASKS: StudeDave--can you tell me something about the 58L sedans being parted--such as who to contact? I need a solid deck lid for my hardtop, and the body parts book says they are the same. Bobby

Comment

Even here in the southwest, it's tought to find a 56-7-8 deck lid that hasn't got AT LEAST some little rust pimples along it's lower edge. The reason is, that there was never any drainage holes along where the inner and outer panels are crimped together (Actualy common to just about any Stude models![xx(])
                              But while this 58 wagon I have suffers from trapped moisture rot around the rear wheel housings (again, thanks to inadequate drainage), it's lower tailgate section is remarkably UN-pin-holed[:0]!
                              This is because there's 7 nifty little drain holes along that lower edge. When I first saw this, I said: "I'll be DAMNED! They DID know how to address this problem after all![^]
                              Alas, it was only after I'd had the car awhile that I came to realize those little holes were really meant to accept screws that would hold a weatherstrip piece in place. It's only because my wagon never GOT this piece of weatherstripping that the holes have let the accumulated moisture out for all these years.[)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X