This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed: 259 Oil Filter Restricter fittings

Jim Maxey, Jr in SB is busy at work on my 61 lark engine, and I'm going to have him put an oil filter on it, does anyone have the restricter little brass fittings that are used on a partial flow system?

(beileve it or not, all my 259's around here never had
    a filter on them except my lark that burned)
    Kent Fedor

(P.S. Ted Harbit was right - Jim when he tore down the engine, said the main
    bearings were chewed up and the crank is beyond grinding)

If your in the South bend area why don't you go see Tom Karkiewicz 574-287-5834 I'm sure he would be able to fix you up .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The .060" brass fitting might work okay for you. Just be certain you know what the hot running oil pressure was before the installation so you can tell if you have lost any pressure. The restrictor is supposed to be the same size as the by-pass hole in the oil pressure relief valve, or about .043"-.045". You can buy a blank fitting similar to the one shown and drill it to size.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You could also silver solder a fitting and then drill it with the appropriate-sized drill.
          I'll say it again even tho I've said it quite recently - be sure you have this restricted fitting on the input side of your partial flo filter.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob Palma replied to Kent's question, also posted at alt.autos.studebaker, and noted that this was covered in Turning Wheels, page 25, March 2001. The article called out a #50 drill for the hole, which is 0.070". The flow is going to go up approximately as the square of the hole diameter, so an orifice .070" should have about 2 quarts/miute flow at about 30 psig. The flow goes up about with the square root of pressure across the orifice, so a pressure of 40 psig only raises the flow by about 15% if we assume that the downstream pressure is pretty low. So, it looks like a pretty big hole should be OK and not cause too much oil pressure loss.

How much oil flow does an oil pump deliver, anyway? I assume that it's capable of a gallon or two a minute. Anyone got data?

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, MA
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I think the "#50 drill bit" is either a misprint or just plain incorrect. It first appeared in July 1976 Turning Wheels in reference to a 170 engine, and we've been stuck with it ever since. That Q & A also states "same as the oil relief valve piston which was drilled in to oil the timing gears."
              In Service Bulletin #350 Studebaker has assigned a part number to the inlet pipe nipple. 1549669, and says it has a .0456" restriction.
              But hey, if a .060" or .070" orifice doesn't lower the oil pressure any noticeable degree, then I wouldn't even worry about it.

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If I scale it, an orifice of 0.0456 would give about 1 quart a minute flow at 40 psi. Sounds about right. Looking at the drill size tables, a #56 drill is 0.0465. It was probably a misprint in the original article.

Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, MA
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Dwain: Is it possible that a different restriction (hole size) was used for the newer partial flow, spin-on (i.e, Fram PB-50) filter versus the older canister-type, cartridge filters? Just a thought. I wish I had a few originals lying around here to go check, but I do not. [8D] BP

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

I think the "#50 drill bit" is either a misprint or just plain incorrect. It first appeared in July 1976 Turning Wheels in reference to a 170 engine, and we've been stuck with it ever since. That Q & A also states "same as the oil relief valve piston which was drilled in to oil the timing gears."
                  In Service Bulletin #350 Studebaker has assigned a part number to the inlet pipe nipple. 1549669, and says it has a .0456" restriction.
                  But hey, if a .060" or .070" orifice doesn't lower the oil pressure any noticeable degree, then I wouldn't even worry about it.

Dwain G.
                  BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

well thank goodness for Dennis and Sasco; I was able to get some NOS restrictor fittings from them for the spin on filter type.

Next Time I wander out in the garage I'll mesause the restrictor hole and get back with you guys,
                    Kent

Comment

Does this mean the Lark has made the magic journey from Arizona to South Bend?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                      X