This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are "quick steering arms"??

The owner of this 66 Cruiser on Ebay mentioned this car has "quick steering arms". Is this some sort of fast ratio system for Studebakers? See it here:

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

yes, several vendors sell them. they are the arms that come back off the spindles and connect to the tie rod end; I think some years of Avanti II used them to quicken up the steering but they can be bolted onto pretty much any 53-up Stude because the spindles are the same. Maybe even 51-up, I'm not sure.

I have been told that they are very nice, and I've also been told that they make a car too twitchy. I guess eventually I will have to try a pair, unless I find someone that already has them that will let me drive their car.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My understanding is that a late series of Avanti (II)s went to these arms to compensate for a change in steering gearboxes. It gave a similar overall ratio to these cars. When used with cars with an original Studebaker gearbox, it gives a different ratio giving quicker steering. I have not tried them on a car. I have heard several reports that the steering becomes heavy and not as well controlled.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
      X