PDA

View Full Version : Would a Stude V-8 fit in there ?



Transtar56
12-04-2005, 03:14 PM
The Ford 260 was all cast iron as most other domestic V-8's of the era,so there might not be much of a weight difference. Im thinking anymore weight up front would make it a dog to handel, but a neat little car like this with a better engine might be awesome, not to mention one of a kind.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-SUNBEAM-TIGER-MK-1A_W0QQitemZ4595391929

Transtar56
12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
British Sports cars are not without there charms, but most are so woefully underpowered.
Ever go down the road at 75mph in a tent?

Roscomacaw
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I once drove an Austin-Healey 3000 that had a 427 Chevy stuffed into it. It was way too much engine for the car. In fact, it flexed the body so bad, you couldn't open or close the doors without jacking the car up in the middle![:0][xx(][}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

imported_n/a
12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
The Ford 260, introduced about 1962(and the 221,289,302 series)was just about the lightest cast iron V-8 of it's day, and fairly compact as well. For that reason, it is suited for engine transplants into tiny foreign cars like the Sunbeam Alpine, etc. With all due respect, though the Studebaker V-8 was as good as,(or probably much better) than other contemporary 1950's Ford V-8's like the 292-312, it still is kind of hefty for its displacement. That would definitely be a negative for installing it in an old British Sports Car. But, it would be interesting to see it done.

Roscomacaw
12-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Heh - I looked at an Austin Princess saloon the other day. Not in bad shape for such a monster of a Brit car. Guy told me it runs good (no battery to prove it). I was musing over how it would run with a Stude V8 in it![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

garyash
12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
In the early '60s, I remember going with a buddy to look at an Austin Healey with a Studebaker 259/289 V-8 installed into it. It must have been a major (unfinished) project as it certainly filled the engine compartment. I think this was before the Austin Healey 3000, maybe a 100-6 model, but 40 years is a long time to remember such details. Anyway, my buddy bought the engine out of the Healey, rebuilt it, and dropped it into his '53 Starliner. I had a matching '53 Starliner with a stock 232 engine. We used to cruise the drive-in hamburger places, try to get street drag competition with my car, then slip his car in pick up an easy $10 or $20. This was my car:
http://www.studegarage.com/images/st532.jpg

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

Mike
12-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I've read that Bill Frick installed some of the Stude engines from his Studillac conversions in Italian Siata sports cars, in the early or mid fifties. I would love to see one of those.
I wonder where the Siata engines went!
Mike M.

Jessie J.
12-05-2005, 11:23 AM
With a $17,500 opening bid I doubt this would be the one to try sticking a Stude engine into :) I looked at several Sunbeam Alpines (the original 4cyl version of this model) back in the '70s with the thought of building a "Tiger" clone, as I recall this was not an easy swap even with the Ford 260-289, requiring widening of the front cradle and suspension mounting points. That 260 is only 21" wide, and 460 lbs, while the Stude is 26" wide and 650 lbs.
Don't get me wrong, I love Studebaker V-8s (now got 5 of 'em!) but there are a lot of better choices of lightweight vehicles for swapping one into, like T-buckets, Model A's, Henry J's, Willy's etc.

DEEPNHOCK
12-05-2005, 11:55 AM
A Stude engine will fit in anything if you drop it from high enough;)
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

With a $17,500 opening bid I doubt this would be the one to try sticking a Stude engine into :) I looked at several Sunbeam Alpines (the original 4cyl version of this model) back in the '70s with the thought of building a "Tiger" clone, as I recall this was not an easy swap even with the Ford 260-289, requiring widening of the front cradle and suspension mounting points. That 260 is only 21" wide, and 460 lbs, while the Stude is 26" wide and 650 lbs.
Don't get me wrong, I love Studebaker V-8s (now got 5 of 'em!) but there are a lot of better choices of lightweight vehicles for swapping one into, like T-buckets, Model A's, Henry J's, Willy's etc.


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Roscomacaw
12-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I've still got my eye out for a dead tractor around here that I can try and adapt a Champion 6 to![:p]:D If I didn't need my 8N on a monthly basis, I'd try adapting it. I need a tractor with a 3-point hitch to work our smallish plot (2&1/2acres) and these vintage Fords are just the right size. I'd buy one with a dead engine if I could afford it, but they're in demand out here even tho the first of them was built before WWII!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Jessie J.
12-05-2005, 02:56 PM
A little off topic, but I have an IH 154 Cub Lo-Boy with its original 12 hp 4 cyl, and 60" mower deck, it is quite underpowered.
Have to mow often because heavy grass will bring it down to a stand-still. Now this one is too nice and original to mess with but I can't help but wonder if anyone ever repowered one of these with a Champion 6 or ???

Dick Steinkamp
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've still got my eye out for a dead tractor around here that I can try and adapt a Champion 6 to!



I'm looking for a vintage dirt track racer that NEEDS a hopped up Champion 6. I'll look for the dead tractor, Biggs, if you keep your eyes open for the round-d-round racer.

-Dick-

Roscomacaw
12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
DEAL!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dan White
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM
This reminds me of a story from a few years ago. My brother used to race roundy round local short track races in central IN. He raced an early 70's Camero and still builds engines for racers near Anderson and Muncie. One night some guys brought a different car than they normally ran and won one of the races quite handily (remember these were (are) very short tracks. Unfortunately they were disqualified when it was found that they were running an in- line 6 cylinder engine (not the V8 that was required), a Hudson 308 in the Camero!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

DEEPNHOCK
12-05-2005, 07:46 PM
The wacky clutch on a 154 won't take the abuse...
But....
Those things are pulling $1500+ sight unseen...just for the parts!
Jeff (sold my 154 for that 8 years ago)Rice[8D]
PS: Ask me about pool diving with it sometime....really[B)]




quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

A little off topic, but I have an IH 154 Cub Lo-Boy with its original 12 hp 4 cyl, and 60" mower deck, it is quite underpowered.
Have to mow often because heavy grass will bring it down to a stand-still. Now this one is too nice and original to mess with but I can't help but wonder if anyone ever repowered one of these with a Champion 6 or ???


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

DEEPNHOCK
12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I feel your pain..;)
http://www.totallywacko.com/cars/sprint.html
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
I'm looking for a vintage dirt track racer that NEEDS a hopped up Champion 6. I'll look for the dead tractor, Biggs, if you keep your eyes open for the round-d-round racer.
-Dick-

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dick Steinkamp
12-05-2005, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

I feel your pain..;)
http://www.totallywacko.com/cars/sprint.html
Jeff[8D]




That's it Jeff! What a beauty. But what the heck is it doing in a car show? Needs to be splattered with mud <g>!

-Dick-

Roscomacaw
12-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.... The same sorta question could be asked as to the cleanliness of the undersides of many Stude show trophy magnets![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Transtar56
12-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Someday Id like to drive one of those Hudson 308 Twin H-Power dual carb set ups,it must have been some engine.

Transtar56
12-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Just noticed the Sunbeam Tiger didn't get a bid at 17,500, so hes gonna try it again,with the same opening bid.
Is it any wonder E-Bay got so rich?

Dan White
12-06-2005, 06:22 AM
The 308 is still the largest 6 ever put in an autobile! Some guys still drag racing them in the midwest.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Transtar56
12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Absolute tourqe monster Id expect.

garyash
12-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey, Dick Steinkamp and Mr. Biggs: No need to look any farther for your round-d-round Stude racer, it's right here! Bob Collings has a fantastic private airplane and car museum in Stow, Mass., west of Boston. He has a bunch of Indy racers and old dirt track machines in the mix. One of them is a midget with a Champ 6 and dual carbs. Here's a picture I took this past summer.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/midget_champ6_2_sm.jpg

See the rest of his collection at http://www.collingsfoundation.org/

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 09:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by garyash

Hey, Dick Steinkamp and Mr. Biggs: No need to look any farther for your round-d-round Stude racer, it's right here!


Thanks, Gary...now I've got to clean up the drool from my keyboard!

-Dick-

garyash
12-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Let's see, Dick, according to my calculations, it's just 7:30 in the morning where you are. But, you're up and reading Stude gossip already. Now that's dedication. Must be that Mr. Biggs is sleeping late, LOL.

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

Roscomacaw
12-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I had my first review of the day at 5:30AM. Believe it or not, I just didn't have any comments to post![:0][}:)];)

OK, Dick. I get the black one and you get the red one. Now we just have to find a track to duke it out on!:D
While your skinflint frame may well afford you a bit of speed, my fat can will keep my racer planted in a skid![^] So who's gonna have the advantage???[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 11:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs



OK, Dick. I get the black one and you get the red one. Now we just have to find a track to duke it out on!:D
While your skinflint frame may well afford you a bit of speed, my fat can will keep my racer planted in a skid![^] So who's gonna have the advantage???[:I]



OK...since you got first choice on the cars, I'll pick the track...dirt oval. (check out the tires on the two rigs)[}:)]:D

-Dick-

Roscomacaw
12-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Oh, I figured that from the git-go. I just didn't know WHERE such track was located.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Oh, I figured that from the git-go. I just didn't know WHERE such track was located.:D




That (beautiful) black car is set up for a paved track. My red one will eat your lunch. but you'll LOOK good in a losing effort):D:D

-Dick-

http://static.flickr.com/34/70902012_6e27267e69.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/35/70902010_fb02eeef29.jpg

garyash
12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Just to prove that we don't need to drop a V-8 in [that was the original thread], how about another Stude race car to join the fun, a green one. I know that Bob Valpey has one of these Indy racers, but I'm not sure which of the 5 this one is. I saw it at South Bend in 2002. Imagine a whole track filled with Stude racers. Wouldn't that be fun at the old proving grounds in South Bend in 2007.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/stude_indy_sb2002.jpg

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

Roscomacaw
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Now THERE'S a Green to be envious about![:p]

Dick, for whatever reason, I couldn't go back and look at that red car today.[V] But you're right about the tires. Those slicks would have me behind this ---> [8] Even at that, it'd be fun losin'![8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

jjones
12-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Enjoyed the vintage roundy-round cars but the talk of a 308 Hudson brought back some old memories. Back in the mid 1960s we were racing a 327 Chevy-powered Henry J at the old Beeline Dragway in Phoenix, AZ. This d--- little 308 Hudson powered Anglia ate our lunch every time. That little sucker was quick (low 12s if I remember correctly)and had a sound like nothing I've heard since. I too would like to play with one. Hmmm--a Hudson-powered street rod? My wife's not gonna be happy.

DEEPNHOCK
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I loved the sound that thing made...
I brought some 20's rear end parts to Asheville for a guy and was asking him for some info on the straight 8's for a project like this... Awesome machine...
Jeff[8D]




quote:Originally posted by garyash

Just to prove that we don't need to drop a V-8 in [that was the original thread], how about another Stude race car to join the fun, a green one. I know that Bob Valpey has one of these Indy racers, but I'm not sure which of the 5 this one is. I saw it at South Bend in 2002. Imagine a whole track filled with Stude racers. Wouldn't that be fun at the old proving grounds in South Bend in 2007.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/stude_indy_sb2002.jpg

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

DEEPNHOCK
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I raced my Hawk a few times in the early seventies out in Byron, Illinois ... One time I pulled up to the line on a cold, cold March morning and this little '62 Ford Falcon 2 door toy pulled up next to me... He did a burnout that scared the crap out of me [:0]. I thought it was a chainsaw gone mad... Turns out he had a 300" six bored out .120" with a stroker flat crank. The lights came down and he was GONE!!!jumping and screaming down the track. He ran an 11.something, and I ran a scalding 15.25;).. I've never underestimated a good six cylinder ever since[|)]
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by jjones

Enjoyed the vintage roundy-round cars but the talk of a 308 Hudson brought back some old memories. Back in the mid 1960s we were racing a 327 Chevy-powered Henry J at the old Beeline Dragway in Phoenix, AZ. This d--- little 308 Hudson powered Anglia ate our lunch every time. That little sucker was quick (low 12s if I remember correctly)and had a sound like nothing I've heard since. I too would like to play with one. Hmmm--a Hudson-powered street rod? My wife's not gonna be happy.


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]
I raced my Hawk a few times in the early seventies out in Byron, Illinois ... One time I pulled up to the line on a cold, cold March morning and this little '62 Ford Falcon 2 door toy pulled up next to me... He did a burnout that scared the crap out of me [:0]. I thought it was a chainsaw gone mad... Turns out he had a 300" six bored out .120" with a stroker flat crank. The lights came down and he was GONE!!!jumping and screaming down the track. He ran an 11.something, and I ran a scalding 15.25;).. I've never underestimated a good six cylinder ever since[|)]


I know this is drifting OT, but I can't help it <g>.

Saw this run at Sears Point last year. Sounded like a swarm of bees. Pretty neat...

http://static.flickr.com/35/71013618_ab72d0e5ae.jpg

-Dick-

DEEPNHOCK
12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Grandson of Floyd J. Lippencotte Jr.???;)
Jeff (dating onself is easy here) Rice[8D]

[/quote]
I know this is drifting OT, but I can't help it <g>.
Saw this run at Sears Point last year. Sounded like a swarm of bees. Pretty neat...
-Dick-
[/quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Grandson of Floyd J. Lippencotte Jr.???;)
Jeff (dating onself is easy here) Rice[8D]


Dunno...runs under the name "Sissel and Mike". The 6's are late (in terms of in line 6's) Chevy 250's. I asked the crew chief why no cross flow, and he told me it didn't add any HP. News to me.

-Dick-

Studedude
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Oh, I figured that from the git-go. I just didn't know WHERE such track was located.:D

Enid, OK. It's a half mile track, used to race a Charger there.

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude


quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Oh, I figured that from the git-go. I just didn't know WHERE such track was located.:D

Enid, OK. It's a half mile track, used to race a Charger there.

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com


We're on it Dave. As soon as Bob and I take delivery on those racers we'll be out your way. Can we stay in the hut and use your tools?:D

-Dick-

DEEPNHOCK
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
The original John Peter's 'Freight Train' twin engine dragster that resides in the Petersen Museum (or is it Wally Parks NHRA museum in Pomona) was driven by Bob Maruvez, who raced under the alias Floyd J. Lippencotte, Jr. to get around his father, who had forbidden him to drive those deadly dragsters.
(A pic halfway down on this page: http://www.wediditforlove.com/Bankamericar7.html )
Jeff[8D]




quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp


quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Grandson of Floyd J. Lippencotte Jr.???;)
Jeff (dating onself is easy here) Rice[8D]


Dunno...runs under the name "Sissel and Mike". The 6's are late (in terms of in line 6's) Chevy 250's. I asked the crew chief why no cross flow, and he told me it didn't add any HP. News to me.

-Dick-


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dan White
12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
I love my Studes but I also have a soft spot for Hudsons. I have a 50 Commodore 8, but I also have a 55 308 Hornet engine stuffed away for a special project one of these days. Hopefully a 36 or 37 Terraplane or Hudson with a bored 308 running 3 Weber side drafts and wild cam and high compression head. Stuff still available form Clifford performance. In case any one is interested there is a Hudson Hot Rod site: http://www.classiccar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

The original John Peter's 'Freight Train' twin engine dragster that resides in the Petersen Museum (or is it Wally Parks NHRA museum in Pomona) was driven by Bob Maruvez, who raced under the alias Floyd J. Lippencotte, Jr. to get around his father, who had forbidden him to drive those deadly dragsters.
(A pic halfway down on this page: http://www.wediditforlove.com/Bankamericar7.html )
Jeff[8D]


Speaking of "freight trains", this one sure sounded sweet!

-Dick-

http://static.flickr.com/18/71049642_8a9a709f6f.jpg

Studedude
12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
quote:We're on it Dave. As soon as Bob and I take delivery on those racers we'll be out your way. Can we stay in the hut and use your tools?:D
Tools, Quonset, Goliath, trailer, pit crew, the whole 9 yards!!:D

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com