X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st annual Route 66 Grand American Tour

Cancelled sorry, see bottom of page for details

Hey guys we are back. As some may remember my father and I race a 51 Champion we bought site unseen (except a pretty picture[:0]) off the internet and raced it in the Great Race Across America last Summer. We had a great time and made some great friends, some with Studebakers and some without. This Summer we are looking into driving Route 66 from start to end. I don't know all the paticulars at this time. I just thought I would throw this out and see it any of you would be intersted. It would be about 2 week in June.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Would you be going east to west, or west to east. We live in central Okla. so it really wouldn't make any difference. Keep us updated.

OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Comment

Comment

My crystal ball is cloudy at this point but how about a tentative yes for at least a portion of the route, if not all of it.

That assumes I find time to get the engine and trans sealed up to stop the leaks that have become plentiful after our trip last summer.

Gerry

Comment

It would depend on how far you're gonna follow Route 66, but if you got out west with it, I might well join in for a state or two! Sounds like fun.[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I too would like to join for a few HUNDRED miles or so- schedule not withstanding, of course! If you write your Congressman/woman now maybe we can work something out. I work for the Navy, BTW! I know much of the route out of 'San Berdo' over Cajon Pass and into the desert east of Barstow, CA due to one of my other hobbies- TRAINS! The former AT&SF tracks roughly parallel the Mother Road for quite alot of miles. I can't tell you how many times my '65 Cruiser (Sweet Pea) has taken me out that way. Look me up as the time gets closer... she knows the way!!! [8D]

StudeDave

'54 Commander 4dr
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
            '57 Commander 2dr
            '57 Champion 2dr
            '65 Cruiser
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Call me in three or so years . I'm actually got a route planned so that I can go from Detroit to Chicago (US-12), Chicago to Santa Monica (US-66), Santa Monica to San Francisco (US-101), San Francisco to Chillicothe, OH, (US-50), and Chillicothe to Ann Arbor (back to US-12 via US-23). I'm going to try to do this with as few interstate highways as possible except where they are one and the same. I'm planning at this point to try and get a month off from work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I could be interested to run some of the route. I see many miles of 66 in OK. are still present.

Comment

I was proud to join up with the group of east coast Stude drivers (from the Potomac Chapter, SDC) as they drove 66 (actualy, the continent![:0]) from one end to the other a couple years ago. Fact is, if you haven't read that account, you can do so here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/Route66.asp
                  I only trekked with them a short ways but having had such a great time snaking along in a line of vintage South Bend iron, I'd opt to do a bit more if this trek comes off.
                  I've said it before and I'll say it time and time again. Meets are inspiring - but watching other Studebakers IN MOTION, as they cruise along on a sunny day[] - THAT'S truly a "moving experience"! (pun intended[V])
                  Watching bystanders along the way, as they look, do a double-take, and then let their jaws drop. Man, that's just about as good as it gets.[^]
                  BTW, the inspired group of Potomac Chapter drivers is planning a similar run along the old Lincoln Highway - or at least they WERE, last I heard.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

I could be interested to run some of the route. I see many miles of 66 in OK. are still present.
                    I could make the run between Tulsa and OKC.

Dave's Place
                    Studebaker Emporium
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Comment

update on the tour. My father had a bout with lung cancer. After they removed his left lung he had a stroke. Right now he is starting the recovery. Looks like we will have to wait and hope for the best. Sorry to all those that had the trip on a burner ( either the front or rear). Thanks for all the prayers and your kind words. joe

Comment

Dang Joe! Hate to hear that sorta news. Hope your dad makes a recovery right soon.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Your dad has my best wishes and prayers Joe!

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                            X