This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tappet noise

I have 2 studes 63 r1 avanti with almost no tappet noise ,62 hawk with lots of tappet noise. both have the same gear ratio.
    the avanti is a slug yet the hawk is quick.
    question, how much tappet noise is expected.
    I know this will be hard to answer long distance.
    thanks for your opinion

steve strait

Tappet noise is directly proportional to valve clearance. When properly set you may hear "some" noise but not "lots." This should be part of a regular tune-up...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

When I got my Hawk 4 years ago you could hear the lifters 30 feet away. I took it to the good local mechanic and he adjusted the valves, now you hear nothing even when the hood is open. Well, maybe just a tiny bit when the engine is cold but certainly no clickity-clack. Get those valves set right and you'd never know the car doesn't have hydraulic lifters.
      Tim K.
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I like to set my tappet clearance a LITTLE loose. It's not difficult to adjust a little too tight and run the risk of burning valves.
        I can hear tappet noise with the bonnet open, but so what?
        I can live with that.
        /H

Comment

My Lark Custom R1 sounds like a thrashing machine when cruising with a 3:73 rear end and 4 speed. It was like that when I bought it in '98.It only had a few miles on it since Michael Myer adjusted the valves.He knows way more about Studes than I, so I lived with the noise.It does sound very cool,at idel. Eventually I checked the valves and found them tighter than specs. I loosened them, per Bob Palma's advice.My next attempt will be to adjust them cold and see what happens.

Gary Hildebrandt
          Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Working...
          X