This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell difference in 49 starlight coupe

I have a 49 Studebaker champion that i am restoring for my dad (You can never tell if he is coming or going anyways so it is the perfect car). I have been told that it is a starlight coupe but i do not know for sure. I have been told that there were two different kinds of starlight coupes the DeLuxe Starlight coupe, body style no. 8G-C3, and the Regular DeLuxe Starlight coupe. How do you tell the difference? Also i am thinking about putting a chevy 350 in this car only so my dad will have a dependable running car. I would still keep the old engine. Would i ruin the value by changeing engines?

That number - 8G-C3 says it all. 1949 Starlight Coupe Deluxe.

Whether or not the Chebby engine will alter it's value is up to you to decide. There'll be camps take sides for going either way. Understand that going stock will be easier than going cusstom. But you won't be able to support amenities like power steering and A/C with the little 6.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Also i am thinking about putting a chevy 350 in this car only so my dad will have a dependable running car. I would still keep the old engine. Would i ruin the value by changeing engines?
      How is your dad going to use the car? Daily driver, local shows, parades? Or, is he planning long vacation trips, with Momma at his side?[?]

I would leave the car original, unless the plan is to take many, long trips in it. Even if that is the case, the Stude power plant will serve your dad very well, and will be just as "dependable" as a chevy one. The only thing that makes a chevy power plant, "more dependable," is parts availility in the event of a break down. Most Stude guys running original power plants simply keep a few critical parts (water and fuel pumps, etc.) on hand.

Generally speaking, Stude parts are as available as brand X parts, just not always on the shelf at the local FLAPS.

Dependability isn't really an issue. The only other reason to change the engine is, as Mr. Biggs says, to allow for some bolt-on creature comfort items.

While changing engines is not as hard as some would have you to believe, it is more complicated than working with what you have.

I'm known as a, "modifier." [}] I built my car, my way, for several reasons. First, because I grew up with the ambition of building a street machine. Secondly, I drive my car, on long trips, often during the heat of summer. I like my creature comforts, but could do without them, I just prefer to have them. I live in Oklahoma, and have driven my car to South Bend, Charolotte, Memphis, and every surrounding state. A Stude drive line would have taken me to all of those places, but just not in the fashion I wanted to go! I like to set the cruise at 70/75mph with the ac and stereo going. If you dad does not need all of that, why bother?

My advice is, if the car is otherwise original, don't mess with it! If want to modify one, find one that has already been modified, and take it from there. For all the flack I catch about driving modified Studes, I have never scrapped a Stude engine to replace it with a brand X... I bought vehicles that someone else had already converted. (I did NOT buy them BECAUSE they had the chevy engines, I would have been just as happy with a Stude engine... and would have found ways to do what I wanted. I chose them because they would never go back to original, anyway.)

As to your question of ruining the value. To some folks, yes, an engine swap would, "ruin the value." To other folks, it would enhance the value. Based on the offers I have had on my car, I don't see that being a problem... If it is done RIGHT. []

Dave's Place
      Studebaker Emporium
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

I have a real problem with altering a good original car with an engine from another make. Especially when you have the original engine and transmission. But that's my craziness. I'm for restoring back to original or as close to original as I can.
        Thanks for letting insert my 2 cents.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Also i am thinking about putting a chevy 350 in this car only so my dad will have a dependable running car. I would still keep the old engine. Would i ruin the value by changeing engines?
          How is your dad going to use the car? Daily driver, local shows, parades? Or, is he planning long vacation trips, with Momma at his side?[?]

I would leave the car original, unless the plan is to take many, long trips in it. Even if that is the case, the Stude power plant will serve your dad very well, and will be just as "dependable" as a chevy one. The only thing that makes a chevy power plant, "more dependable," is parts availility in the event of a break down. Most Stude guys running original power plants simply keep a few critical parts (water and fuel pumps, etc.) on hand.

Generally speaking, Stude parts are as available as brand X parts, just not always on the shelf at the local FLAPS.

Dependability isn't really an issue. The only other reason to change the engine is, as Mr. Biggs says, to allow for some bolt-on creature comfort items.

While changing engines is not as hard as some would have you to believe, it is more complicated than working with what you have.

I'm known as a, "modifier." [}] I built my car, my way, for several reasons. First, because I grew up with the ambition of building a street machine. Secondly, I drive my car, on long trips, often during the heat of summer. I like my creature comforts, but could do without them, I just prefer to have them. I live in Oklahoma, and have driven my car to South Bend, Charolotte, Memphis, and every surrounding state. A Stude drive line would have taken me to all of those places, but just not in the fashion I wanted to go! I like to set the cruise at 70/75mph with the ac and stereo going. If you dad does not need all of that, why bother?

My advice is, if the car is otherwise original, don't mess with it! If want to modify one, find one that has already been modified, and take it from there. For all the flack I catch about driving modified Studes, I have never scrapped a Stude engine to replace it with a brand X... I bought vehicles that someone else had already converted.

As to your question of ruining the value. To some folks, yes, an engine swap would, "ruin the value." To other folks, it would enhance the value. Based on the offers I have had on my car, I don't see that being a problem... If it is done RIGHT. []

Dave's Place
          Studebaker Emporium
          Just to add to Dave's post...I am also a "modifier". Both Studes I currently own have Chevy motors. One was there when I got the vehicle, and the other I put there. I would be the last guy to talk you out of changing motors. But...

A motor swap is not easy. Just when you think you have the mounts figured out, the exhaust hits the steering box, or the distributor the firewall. Even with the motor in there you have throttle linkage, cooling, exhaust, fuel delivery and 100 other engineering problems to solve. Next you'll find the 6 cylinder brakes and rear end are not up to the task of the Chevy V8 and will need to be replaced.

A swap in a '51 and up Stude is somewhat easier, but still no piece of cake.

If you really want to do it, do it (I did). Just think through the project from start to finish. Plan it out carefully. Develop a budget (then double it <grin&gt. There are probably more failed and abandoned transplants than successful ones.

-Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Just to add to Dave's post...I am also a "modifier".
            Yes, Dick and I are a couple of the, "Spoiled few." In a way, I'm glad I deleted my response to that comment, and yet, wish I hadn't.[V]

Dave's Place
            Studebaker Emporium
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dadstude

I have a 49 Studebaker champion that i am restoring for my dad (You can never tell if he is coming or going anyways so it is the perfect car). I have been told that it is a starlight coupe but i do not know for sure. I have been told that there were two different kinds of starlight coupes the DeLuxe Starlight coupe, body style no. 8G-C3, and the Regular DeLuxe Starlight coupe. How do you tell the difference? Also i am thinking about putting a chevy 350 in this car only so my dad will have a dependable running car. I would still keep the old engine. Would i ruin the value by changeing engines?
              I don't believe the first of your questions was answered. Bob/MrBiggs assumed that you had a C3, whereas you just said that that is a Starlight identification, not that that is what your car is. Post the information on the body plate (engine side of the cowl, right side of car - left side looking under hood) and someone will tell you what model you have.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X