X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible 62 GT Purchase

Hi Guys,

New to the board and looking at a 62 GT Hawk for sale locally. My dad has a 56 President and I've looked at Hawks as long as I can remember. Short of it, there is a GT for sale in pretty decent shape...always a GA car, so no rust issues. It appears to be complete, no rust, showing 41K that the owner says is accurate. Interior indicates that it may be possible. Starts and runs well, but I didn't drive it yet. Anything I should pay close attention to? What is a fair price. The car would need paint, rechrome, some interior tweaking to make me happy. It looks good 40' now. He's asking $8500. Thoughts?

Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by TClanton1

Hi Guys,

New to the board and looking at a 62 GT Hawk for sale locally. My dad has a 56 President and I've looked at Hawks as long as I can remember. Short of it, there is a GT for sale in pretty decent shape...always a GA car, so no rust issues. It appears to be complete, no rust, showing 41K that the owner says is accurate. Interior indicates that it may be possible. Starts and runs well, but I didn't drive it yet. Anything I should pay close attention to? What is a fair price. The car would need paint, rechrome, some interior tweaking to make me happy. It looks good 40' now. He's asking $8500. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Sounds like an Old Cars Price Guide #4 car "Good. A driveable vehicle needing no, or only minor work to be functional. All components may need restoration to be excellent, but the car is mostly useable as is. This is a driver."

Their value for a #4 62 GT is $4400.

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

First, don't limit yourself to a local car, just factor in shipping cost. I just sold a much nicer 63 on ebay for 8K, and a R1 powered job also nicer for $8350. I have a "done" 63 GT here in Md, that you could buy for 11K and it has nice paint, chrome and interior. Dave Lester has a stunning 62 with AC and 4 speed on ebay as we speak that would be cheaper in the long run then spending 10-15K to fix up a 40 footer. Always buy the nicest car you can afford, a 14K GT Hawk that needs nothing will be mucher cheaper in the long run then restoring a dog.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, guys! I probably should have added some additional detail. First and foremost, I have permission from the better half to buy the black/red Hawk in GA...it's actually close to the in-laws and we've eyed it several times this year. I didn't even get close to it until I was told to pull over and look.

I was probably a little harder on a 43 year old car than I should have been in my description. It definitely is not a dog. I had already seen Dave Lester's car on Ebay (didn't realize he was a forum member), and truthfully, the car here is not too far behind it. Biggest difference is probably the paint job and I have a buddy in the body shop business, so that we can take care of. The chrome sounds similar, I'm just thinking down the wish list and polishing would probably help for now. The interior of the car here is very good with the exception of the driver's seat. From the sound of it, I can replace those covers relatively cheaply. Biggest questions are the mechanicals. The guy that has it has 2 Hawks and a Starliner coupe, so he's focusing on the coupe and wants out of the Hawk. He also has a white one, but it didn't do it for us. He pointed out several things he had done recently and I will get that list and post it for opinions.
        Definitely agree on buying the best for the money. I have a 1980 Benz that I'm waaaay too deep in, thinking I could clean her up. While it's beautiful, I could have bought a better car and saved $$$.

I'm pretty good with a wrench and better with cosmetics.

Any pics of the 63, JDP? The only thing is that I like the "scoop" front better than the small grills on the 63/64.

Comment

I can take some more pix, but from the pictures it'll look like a new white 63 GT with a black interior and black half vinyl roof. Nice paint, interior, chrome. detailed under the hood and trunk. AT, PS. It'll trophy at local shows.

64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP,

Are the pictures on your website? I wasn't sure where to look....found the albums, but wasn't sure if there was another spot.

Thanks!
            TC

Comment

I need to take pictures, I'll try tommorow.

64 GT Hawk
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              53 Street rod
              JDP Maryland

Comment

TC hit the BIN on my '62 this afternoon, following a visit on the phone. I was hoping he would be the one to buy it, one of the guys that seemed to be really serious about it implied he was going to change out the driveline with a Brand X.

TC, are you already a member of SDC?

Dave's Place
                Studebaker Emporium
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

wtg TC I know you will be happy with that stude
                  i hate to see it go off E BAY,I enjoyed just going there n looking at the great pics of it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

TC hit the BIN on my '62 this afternoon, following a visit on the phone. I was hoping he would be the one to buy it, one of the guys that seemed to be really serious about it implied he was going to change out the driveline with a Brand X.

Dave's Place
                    Studebaker Emporium
                    TC,
                    You bought the right car for the right price from the right guy.

Congrats!

-Dick-
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Dave's Place
                      Studebaker Emporium
                      If he is not an SDC member, either of you could buy the gift membership special for $19.95. This offer, for new members, is valid until the end of this month.
                      I think that he got a nice car at a fair price and I wish him well with it.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:If he is not an SDC member, either of you could buy the gift membership special for $19.95. This offer, for new members, is valid until the end of this month.
                        That was my plan!

quote:I think that he got a nice car at a fair price and I wish him well with it.
                        Me, too!

Dave's Place
                        Studebaker Emporium
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Happy new owner here! I wanted the car bad after the first listing, but kept contemplating the local fixer-upper. Once the snow set in and Dave needed a great home for his Hawk, I knew it was meant to be...

Now, if we can just get her from OK to AL, life will be good. In the meantime, Dave is keeping her warm and exercised!

How do I join SDC?

Thanks all for the advice on this. Thanks again, Dave, for all the help.
                          Terry

Comment

Terry,

you're on the SDC site, just go to the homepage and follow the links. I'm pretty sure that you can join online.

I hope you enjoy the car, I was impressed by the pics I saw of it and I know Dave is a good guy. I think you did the right thing; unless you're real ambitious it's almost always better to buy a nice car up front than a project.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate,

I realized that after I posted...sometimes I wonder where my mind is. Well, today it is on getting $$ to Dave and getting the Hawk to Bham. I'll check out the enrollment link and ask more stupid questions later...[:I]

Thanks for helping a newbie!
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X