This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of state registration?

Found a 63 Lark 8 about 10mi. from home. The lady that has it never registered the car. She said she bought it from an owner of a tire shop in town, 2yrs. ago. The car has Montana plates. She has the Montana owners registration papers but no pink slip. The car had belonged to the shop owners father-in-law. The father-in-law had passed away and he brought the car out here. She is asking 3,900. It is stick W/O Seams to run and looks in not to bad shape. The old gentleman had belonged to SDC. This looks like it would a mess to register. Any thoughts?[?]

Depends on the state you are in, but most states aren't too concerned with these old cars. If there are no reports of the car ever being stolen, it usually isn't too big of a deal. Be sure to get a bill of sale, and get it notarized, along with a written statment by the seller that there is no title. A lot depends on whether you can get a state employee who is willing to work with you, and whether the car can pass the inspections in your state. No inspections at all in my state!!

Comment

Depending what state you live in. Some states have very strict procedures and some do not. A lot of people will use one of these title company's, let's say in Alabama and get it registered there and then bring it in to a their state with a inspection by there state. Some staes allow this some do not. For ex. CAl,Ohio and others will not allow this type of transaction. Although I have never done one of these I have street rodder friends that do them all the time. It really dependes on the state you live in. You might be able to get Montana to reissue you the title with proof of ownership. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

In florida it's not that big of a deal you get a form from the tag agency,have a notary or cop sign it saying that all numbers/info on the car is correct,you pay the money for a new title and your good to go(hopefuly the car wasn't stolen).It just depends on your state rules.
        Sean

Orlando FLA
        Orlando FLA

Comment

If you were in Nebraska and especially in Lancaster (Lincoln) or Douglas County (Omaha) you'd want to down several nerve pills and perhaps a half-a-fifth before going to the DMV. I've been fortunate but have heard alot of horror stories with scenarios just like this one!

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
          X