X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Fox Articles into books

Hi

I have been an SDC member since 1985 and have read every one of Fred Fox's excellent Turning Wheels articles. They are, without exception, indepth and a primary source for research.

I would like to see them collected into a book, arranged chronolgically, and offered by the SDC to its membership as well as general booksellers. Perhaps one for cars and one for trucks.

I have most of the other Studebaker histories; some are great, some just good and some best described as fiction. But none are the indepth factual source that Fred's articles are!

Who in SDC do we contact to advance this idea?

Regards
    Steve Kelley

The idea of a "Best of Turning Wheels" books had been floated for at least 10 years. I'd love to be able to buy one to three books covering all the model year cars.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Steve, put me on the buyers list!!!!

Home of the Almostahawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I think I've read somewhere that Fred retains the copyright to his articles even though he his paid by TW (SDC) to write them. If so, he retains complete control. If it is true, I think it's also unfair to SDC. If the club has paid for an article, we should own it, right? That's the way it usually works everywhere else. Comments?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Along the same lines, I wouldn't mind seeing a "best of the Co-Operator" book. There's a lot of good info published over the years, also a few technical articles that are absolutely priceless.

I have a semi-respectable collection of old TW's, my habit is to always spend $10-20 at any meet on some back issues that I don't have. Also if I see any on eBay for less than $1/issue I throw in a bid, I might get lucky. I'm always disappointed whenever I get my "new" magazines and there's no Co-Operator...

The only issue that I see is that some of these articles that really ought to be reprinted were written by people I don't recognize - either they've dropped out of the club over the years or worse, I assume, and thus getting the rights to reprint them may be problematic unless TW acquired all the rights when they bought the articles in the first place.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Regarding Fred Fox's fine Studebaker features. Since we don't know the agreement between Fred and TW we cannot presume much.

Ownership of copyright depends on what is in the agreement.

A publisher can buy "all rights" and it becomes their property, or --- perhaps they only buy "first rights" which only guarantees them they are the first to publish.

In the case of first rights (only) they cannot republish without some new agreement with the author. The author has retained the ability to sell second or all rights. This is a good thing for the author in case he wishes to put out his own book later, or sell a repeat of the article to some other magazine. It's all part of free enterprise.

Dale McPhearson
            INDY Chapter
            Brickyard Bulletin
            sigpic
            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark ParkerThis is a good thing for the author in case he wishes to put out his own book later, or sell a repeat of the article to some other magazine.
              Well said, Dale. It's also good for a publication like Turning Wheels, and therefore SDC. The articles could just as easily be published in some other publication, if that publication were willing abide by those terms, and TW wasn't.

I, for one, am glad they are published in TW! A guy with Fred's knowledge, ability to research, and talent at the key board is hard to find. We are very fortunate to have access to his work, and I think the described agreement is reasonable, although I certainly can't verify it.

Dave's Place
              Studebaker Emporium
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Huh? Sounds like sycophantism to me.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The SDC Board has discussed this suggestion many times. I agree that Fred Fox's articles are excellent and make good reference. Fred owns the copyright to the articles. IIRC, he has expressed an interest in compiling his articles into a book format. As we know, this hasn't happened, yet. Maybe we can prod Fred into some action on either issuing the book or assigning the rights to someone else.

A word of caution on utilizing these feature articles as reference. Always look through the next one to six issues of Turning wheels for updates and corrections to the main feature article. I assume that a book would incorporate all updates and corrections into the body of the article.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Huh? Sounds like sycophantism to me.
                    Other than your own words, or those of someone that might agree with you, what doesn't?

Dave's Place
                    Studebaker Emporium
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

The SDC Board has discussed this suggestion many times. I agree that Fred Fox's articles are excellent and make good reference. Fred owns the copyright to the articles. IIRC, he has expressed an interest in compiling his articles into a book format. As we know, this hasn't happened, yet. Maybe we can prod Fred into some action on either issuing the book or assigning the rights to someone else.

A word of caution on utilizing these feature articles as reference. Always look through the next one to six issues of Turning wheels for updates and corrections to the main feature article. I assume that a book would incorporate all updates and corrections into the body of the article.
                      And I must say,Mr Studegary,you would have to be involved with this endeavor. We've all read your knowledgeable posts,you seem to be THE authority on facts and figures about Studebakers.-I think that you would be a valuable member of the 'team',if and when this project gets off the ground.
                      BTW,Studegary,I read your letter in OCW a few weeks ago.Thanks for straightening that out!!! People ARE paying attention!

Home of the Almostahawk
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                      X