This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Inner Fender

Need to know if the 61 Lark inner fender is a removeable separate piece from the fender and front grill. I see some attachment bolts but wonder if there are any spot welds especially in the radiator and head light supporting areas. Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Lots of spot welds. I drill them out with a spot weld drill.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

From the factory, the inner and outer fenders came spot welded together. There are many spot welds in the area where the hood closes. As JDP/John states, you can separate these two parts by drilling out the spot welds. If the original outer fender has been replaced, it probably doesn't have spot welds. It probably has rivets, edge weld, screws or something else.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There are at least two panels welded to the outer fender when they come from the factory; the inner fender and the panel behind the headlight buckets. 61's could have either single or dual headlights and those panels would be different for each. If they are still welded it may be easiest to remove the entire assembly by unbolting the whole thing, then remove the spotwelds. Reinstall the inner assembly and line up the outer fender to be sure everything fits correctly then reattach everything with welds or rivets.

I would probably rivet first and add welds and also use seam sealer.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ok and thanks. It has dual headlights. I hope to remove the inner panel to make room for a blower side mount.

Comment

In 1961, dual headlights were standard on Regal and Cruiser models and optional on DeLuxe models. Why not just form or cut an access/clearance area rather than remove the entire inner fender?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree. If you're not removing inner fender to repair I would alter the space to accomodate your blower. Excise headaches.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X