This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone save this Hawk?

Here's a nice and practically rust free 1956 Skyhawk in Fort Dodge, Iowa. I talked to a person that works with the guy that owns it. I understand he's going to hot rod it, chop it, gut it, put all new running gear in it, remove the rear window, ad nauseum. The fellow I talked to at this car place (KARS) says everyone tells the guy it's way to nice to hot rod, but maybe we have members down there that could try and convince the owner not to do it to this car. Here's a picture. I wish I could buy it from him for my daughter who's 6 and loves Studebakers (especially pink ones).

OK, I'm still trying to get this picture thing right. Here's another try.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

another try...[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2H8ZY1A1\IMG_1037.JPG[/img]
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Here's a nice and practically rust free 1956 Skyhawk in Fort Dodge, Iowa. I talked to a person that works with the guy that owns it. I understand he's going to hot rod it, chop it, gut it, put all new running gear in it, remove the rear window, ad nauseum. The fellow I talked to at this car place (KARS) says everyone tells the guy it's way to nice to hot rod, but maybe we have members down there that could try and convince the owner not to do it to this car. Here's a picture. I wish I could buy it from him for my daughter who's 6 and loves Studebakers (especially pink ones).
        I have owned many Studes. Stock and modified. My '54 hardtop is modified. I never could understand why folks feel than a modified Stude should start as a clapped out rust bucket. When I wanted to build a modified '53-54 hardtop, I found the most rust free, most complete car I could find. To do otherwise would be borderline stupid. Believe it or not, others that want to modify a car do exactly the same thing. It's the least expensive, least frustrating way to go.

The only way you are going to "save" Studes from those who wouldn't do exactly what you would do with the car is to buy every one out there and hide them in a barn.

I'm not picking on you, Scott, but there is plenty of room in the hobby for all kinds of ways to enjoy it. In fact, if you can tolerate even a couple of ways a car can be "done", you might have even MORE fun with the hobby.

-Dick-

(saving them from the restorers <g&gt
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

OK, here is yet another try to get the picture!
          [img http://community.webshots.com/photo/...10129716CaLZYU /img]

Comment

Hey Scott, the link worked that time. Good job. Nice car too. Original would be nice, but... At least some parts of the old gal will still be on the road. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

The good news is that it's not a Skyhawk, nut a Flight/Power Hawk.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 GT Hawk
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              53 Street rod
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, I knew it is a flight hawk, but somehow when I typed it I was not thinking clearly - probably the thought of chopping such a nice restoration candidate.

Comment

It happens to rodders too, here's my post from the Studebaker NG:

You know how the street rodders often pick a nice car to rod ? I saw
                  something today that might cause a street rodder some sadness. I stopped off at a buddies local rod shop today, and he showed me a stunning Viper V10 powered chopped 51 Mercury coupe, done by Boyd Coddington. It was purchased by a movie company to be used in some shots in Annapolis.
                  The shop's job ?

1.Repaint over the 15K paint job with rattle can primer.
                  2.Gut the interior and replace with cheap seat and worn covers.
                  3.Pull the Coddington wheels and replace with stock rims.
                  4. Rig the suspension with air bags to show the car falling down on the ground, dropping off some loose parts.
                  5. Make the engine "smoke" (oil injection ? )

I know the money they paid for a show rod is peanuts to a movie
                  company, but it's sad none the less. I'll take "before" pix next
                  week.

Here's the car: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=180791

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  64 GT Hawk
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  53 Street rod
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

OK, here is yet another try to get the picture!
                    [img http://community.webshots.com/photo/...10129716CaLZYU /img]
                    You almost had it! The first "img" needs a bracket (]) behind it, the second one needs a ([) in front of it.

Again, as Sir Robert says, it would be easier to 'splain if we could just post it like it's supposed to be, but that tell the 'puter to find an image, and when it can't, it gives ya that little red X.

Dave's Place
                    Studebaker Emporium
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Studedude,
                      Thanks for the tip. I had to remove the brackets you refer to to get the link to show. If I leave them in you would see no link AND no picture. I tested it in the preview both ways! I still need help from Mr. Biggs and the guys who make the postings work. This does not work the way they say it should.

Comment

Some image hosts don't allow direct linking. Maybe that's your problem?

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It's a funny thing about most cars that preservation issues that are applied to almost any other human relic aren't applied.

The general rule about dealing with old books, houses, and other old objcts is if you must modify something make sure the modification is reversible - that it can be undone. It's a good thing to keep in mind because the value of an old unique item can be destroyed if it is altered irreversibly. If you take a really nice hawk and chop it, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that is a reversible modification. If a car is already irreversibly modified it doesn't matter if you add more modifications or change the modifications. I think some body-modified Studebakers are well done, but after this many years I would strongly advocate against chopping anymore un-modified Studebakers.

Naturally an owner can do whatever he wants with a car, but we've all seen examples of cars where tens of thousands were spent on modifiying them only to end up with a horribly tasteless car that appeals to absolutely no-one but the guy who modified it. When he dies the car quickly degrades into a worthless pile of garbage. How many 1960's and 1970's hot rods are left? Once they go out of style they are usually scrapped or parted out. So why go down that road with a restorable Hawk?

Comment

It's a funny thing about most cars that preservation issues that are applied to almost any other human relic aren't applied.

The general rule about dealing with old books, houses, and other old objcts is if you must modify something make sure the modification is reversible - that it can be undone. It's a good thing to keep in mind because the value of an old unique item can be destroyed if it is altered irreversibly. If you take a really nice hawk and chop it, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that is a reversible modification. If a car is already irreversibly modified it doesn't matter if you add more modifications or change the modifications. I think some body-modified Studebakers are well done, but after this many years I would strongly advocate against chopping anymore un-modified Studebakers.

Naturally an owner can do whatever he wants with a car, but we've all seen examples of cars where tens of thousands were spent on modifiying them only to end up with a horribly tasteless car that appeals to absolutely no-one but the guy who modified it. When he dies the car quickly degrades into a worthless pile of garbage. How many 1960's and 1970's hot rods are left? Once they go out of style they are usually scrapped or parted out. So why go down that road with a restorable Hawk?
                            First of all, don't get me wrong about debating the merits (or lack of) of modifying a Stude. I have owned far more bone stock Studes than modified ones. I appreciate a good restoration as much as a good hot rod. One great thing about the SDC is that ALL types of Studes are welcome. You can go to an SDC show and see a good mix of stock and modified/custom cars. This is true of few (if any) other marque clubs. It's great to belong to a car club that recognizes that modifying and racing Studebakers (with and without Studebaker power) is a part of Studebaker history.

I think it's hard to compare old books to cars. Cars have been modified since...well, since there were cars. Changing body lines, replacing engines, lowering, chopping, etc. have been with us since the Model T. Books...not a big history of being modified. Houses...the jury is out. A lot of houses (most?) get modified at some time in their life. Some get put back to "stock", most don't. I personally don't see cars as "human relics"...although I can understand why some do, and why they keep their pride and joy(s) in climate controlled buildings and trailer them to shows. I'm actually glad some do because I thoroughly enjoy seeing these works of art when they are displayed. BTW, this applies to stockers you'd see at the Pebble Beach Concours as well as the custom/modified cars you'd see at the Grand National Roadster Show.

Some (many?) hot rod projects are never finished, or are not attractive when they are finished. OTOH, some (many?) restorations are never finished and are not attractive when they are finished. How many nice Studes are rotting away in a field because the owner has good intentions of restoring it some day?

It's the "car hobby". There are many, many ways that us enthusiasts participate in the hobby. From racing monster trucks, to cruising low riders with hydraulics. We don't have to appreciate EVERY way the car hobby is enjoyed, but it helps to at least tolerate them.

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
                              You have good points there. The picture you posted of the black hardtop is what I would call a fine modified car, at least from this angle very tastefully done.

Houses and books are different than cars, but on the other hand the same historic preservation issues can and are applied to some kinds of cars. I would actually argue the same thing about re-modifying some old hot rods since they show a certain aspect of our culture at the time they were made. They are very interesting objects, too, and are worthy of preservation. I'm only suggesting that the time for chopping perfectly good Studebakers is 20 years in the past and a little more attention should be paid to keeping intact the ones that are left. I'm mainly talking about body modifications here, by the way, since many mechanical alterations can make the car safer, and many drivetrain modifications can be brought back to stock by a subsequent owner if wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X