Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She started! (Carb rebuild in her future?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She started! (Carb rebuild in her future?)

I am too excited... Stella actually started tonight! She is still on jack stands and is awaiting a little more brake attention, but my buddy and I were feeling courageous.

Last night we got some Marvel Mystery Oil gas treatment, a new battery, changed the engine oil, got sidetracked when we couldn't find an oil or gas filter, and tried to get her cranked. She turned over fine, but wouldn't "catch."

Tonight, we added more fresh gas and changed the spark plugs and with the help of some starting fluid and gas pedal pumping, she cranked on up!

Now here's my question... She sounds really good, but when you press on the gas, she coughs and hiccups. She never dies, but she does hiccup pretty badly. Would a carburetor rebuild kit help with this? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

- Eric

I forgot to mention that I've had Stella and have been working on her brakes for what seems to be three months now (waiting on parts, etc). This was our first real attempt at trying to get her to start.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

sounds like you need a new accelerator pump. yes that would be found in a carb rebuild kit...

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Try whacking the carb a bit to see if the float may be stuck from setting..
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Eman

I am too excited... Stella actually started tonight! She is still on jack stands and is awaiting a little more brake attention, but my buddy and I were feeling courageous.

Last night we got some Marvel Mystery Oil gas treatment, a new battery, changed the engine oil, got sidetracked when we couldn't find an oil or gas filter, and tried to get her cranked. She turned over fine, but wouldn't "catch."

Tonight, we added more fresh gas and changed the spark plugs and with the help of some starting fluid and brake pumping, she cranked on up!

Now here's my question... She sounds really good, but when you press on the gas, she coughs and hiccups. She never dies, but she does hiccup pretty badly. Would a carburetor rebuild kit help with this? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

(On a more minor note, the blinkers aren't working.)

- Eric

I forgot to mention that I've had Stella and have been working on her brakes for what seems to be three months now (waiting on parts, etc). This was our first real attempt at trying to get her to start.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks! I'll check into doing both. It's unfortunate that my local auto parts dealer's book only goes back to 1955 carburetors!

Comment

Now your starting to have fun !!!

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I believe your carb is a Carter WCD series (same basic carb was used on other makes of that era). Local auto parts place MIGHT be able to get you a kit with that info but alot of our Stude parts vendors should be able to get you one.
            If it were my car, I'd have figured in a carb rebuild even before I thought about starting. Gaskets dry out and shrink, corrosive crud accumulates in the bowls and FOR SURE, the accellerator pump's leather bellows is shrunk up like dried fruit.
            It ain't rocket science. Get a kit and rebuild it. Then they'll be no spittin' 'n sputterin'!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, I've never done anything like this before... I guess you live and learn.[8] To be honest, I'm just happy she turned over.

I'll check on the carburetor to be sure and see what I can do about getting a rebuild kit.

Thanks again.

Comment

Just fyi... It looks like I've got a Stromberg AAUVB-26 model carburetor.

And by the way, happy Thanksgiving everyone![]

Comment

I believe you can possibly buy your parts kit from Daytona parts:

Daytona Parts Co. A premier supplier of high quality carburetor repair kits and Ethanol resistant carburetor component parts for carburetors, from 1923 thru today

John

Comment

Working...
                  X