This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude spotting

No, I'm not talking about oil stains on the driveway![}] I'm talking about a little "foray" I made to a nearby town yesterday. The primary mission of which was to look over a GT Hawk that's for sale with an eye towards turning it on ebay.
    The car's relatively solid, in spite of a big hole in the passenger's door and bubbling on the rear corners of the front fenders. It's got most the important stuff save for a couple pieces of trim (one wheel well moulding and the badge that goes in the top of the decklid)
    It's a '62 4-speed that runs, but does so poorly since it's running on really old, stinky gas! Full gages but the tach and clock aren't working. I don't know about the Speedo as I didn't drive it.
    It's got poor looking, but functional wire wheels and has had a "spray-on" vinyl top that's mostly gone. It's metallic green, 2-stage paint is shedding it's clearcoat but save for the aforementioned rust spots, it appears not to have any filler and looks pretty straight.
    Interior's intact but very tired. Has PS and had PB at one time. Also has aftermarket A/C that, as always, "just needs a recharge" - right! Tinted glass is all good although none of it wants to go up or down with ease.
    I want to ask you - what would YOU offer for this car? I know what the seller's asked but I wan't say until some of you have given your opinion as to what it's worth. And BTW, the trunk overlay is in the back seat.
    I didn't look under the carpets but the trunk floor is rusty but not rusted through. Here's some pics:

OK - so I spend 20 minutes looking the Hawk over and I head back for home. Now this little farming town is old and looks it for the most part. Lots of old cars sitting around barns and on abandoned lots. I decide to take a less than direct route towards home. I drive along on a road that skirts the southern edge of town and look into driveways and side yards as I do. This is DEFINITELY the "low rent" district. But you never know what you might find.
    I haven't puttered half a mile before my glancing into driveways scores a familiar face! Here's what I saw.

I wheeled around and went back. Then I got out and knocked on the residence door to see if anyone was home. No answer.[V] But, I went back to the truck, made out a note of interest with my name and Ph# and returned to the porch to slip it in the door jamb. I also boldly took two closer shots just to share with you.
    It's a 65 Commander and despite the junk stacked on it, it looks to be fairly straight and solid. Maybe the owner will call and tell me if it's for sale. It'd have to be CHEAP to tempt me. I've got too many cars on my plate as it is! Selling that GT for a profit would help finance one of my keepers. Maybe..........[}]

There's MORE Studes in that little town. I can just SMELL 'em![:0][]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

I can't see buying that Hawk with the idea of turning it for a profit on eBay. If you want to buy it and part it out, you would probably do okay with the 4 speed, dash, bumper, engine, etc. From that standpoint, I would say $300-$500. Others may say that it is worth more, but see if they want to buy it or spend the time and effort to part it out and market the individual items.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I can't see buying that Hawk with the idea of turning it for a profit on eBay. If you want to buy it and part it out, you would probably do okay with the 4 speed, dash, bumper, engine, etc. From that standpoint, I would say $300-$500. Others may say that it is worth more, but see if they want to buy it or spend the time and effort to part it out and market the individual items.
      Gary,
      I'll take all the GT's you can find in this condition for $500. Even if they are on the east coast (I'm on the west). IMHO, a California GT in relative rust free condition like this one with a 4 speed and full dash is worth about 10 times your estimate. I could be wrong, but please contact me if you run across any at the price you suggest.

Thanks,
      -Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

$2500 at my door.
        Tim K.

I want to ask you - what would YOU offer for this car? I know what the seller's asked but I wan't say until some of you have given your opinion as to what it's worth.
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

$2000 at my door. Cleaned up a little and with fresh gas,[paint those valve covers!]-I'd match Tims bid!!!
          About a year ago Don Gay was selling the twin to this car.[Same colors]It was an automatic,and with Illinois rust.Asking price was 2K,and I would bet he got that much....

Home of the Almostahawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Im really suprised at Stude Garys answer, a California, fairly un-rusty 4-speed Gt Hawks gotta be worth close to 3500 on E-Bay.
            And thats just with a good cleaning, knowing Bob you'll have that thing purring like a kitten.
            Think all new brakes and shocks and tires, new JP interior,decent but inexpensive paint job after fixing the minor body bad spots,and for less than 7500 the new owner could have a very nice driver that would be a blast,with that four speed.

Comment

Are you sure that's aftermarket air? Looks awfully close to the stock setup.

Paint job is pretty bad. I mean it looks like they painted right over the scripts. If that was done, who knows what lurks beneath?

I think that one or two thousand is as high as I'd go. It could take a LONG time to get $2k back out of it if you parted it. The value is there, but some parts are slow movers.

OTOH, if you make it start and drive, and stop, and shine up the paint a bit, you could probably make a buck on eBay. We all know that you'd have to spend about 10 grand on the car to make it show-worthy, so in the long run a person wanting a really nice car would be better off buying a done car. But there are always folks who want to spend a few grand and have a car in their driveway right NOW, and properly presented on eBay, you could tap that market.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

my $.02, Teresa and I recently watched a GT on Ebay, it started but didnt stop(no brakes). Opening bid was $500, the owner listed it 4 times before with no sale and a reserve. So we know he already spent over $200 just in listing fees, depending on the reserve he could have easily spent another $200. It was an east coast car(where we live) and only 4 hours away, and on our way to the beach. So we stopped to take a look, it needed every outer body panel replaced, but the subfloor was decent only rusted about 4" in on both ends, the floors were repaired before, and like I said it ran,(her other 62 needed an engine and floors/rockers/etc). We offered the guy $1000 to end the auction early and he said he wanted to let the auction run since there was only 2 days left. It brought $735, and didnt meet the reserve, we bought it for $1000, picked it up 2 days later, and pulled it in the garage, found receipts for brake work, bled the brakes and its now driveable(at least thru the yard).
                My point to all this yammering......all it takes is 2 people that cant live without the car. I feel that if I found that car and it was less than $3000, Id beg, borrow, or steal to get it. I know that every new/or good used part on the outside of that car was $300 last year, bumpers, fenders, 1/4s, doors, deck lid, grille, grille surround, etc etc. This year at Reedsville they were 300-350 and up! I agree with the other member who posted, I will take ANY basically rust free cali Stude for $500!
                If you are going the eBay route, do a complete detail on it, throw a tuneup on it and bleed the brakes, change it to r-134a, and then list it. People are getting lazy, and if it needs alot of work(ie, doesnt start or stop) the bidding will be low.
                Then again everyone has an opinion and this is only mine.....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

Working...
                X