This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Question

In the Tech Tips they talked about a T5 transmission being put on a Stud V8, mine being a 62 Hawk. When they are saying T5 transmission do they mean any T5 or does it have to be GM, Mustang, Volvo or what?

Depends on the bellhousing you have. There is a truck housing that you can drill. Or there is both Chevy and Ford type drilled housings depending on year. Most popular is the Chevy style housing and a S-10 T-5.

Comment

Is the s-10 T-5 strong enough for a blown 289? Or is there a stronger one for an Avanti pushing at least 400hp?

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

In tech tips they talk about the mustang T5 from 1985 to early 90's. They also talk about a world class vs. non world class. Just different gear ratio. You do need to drill two new holes in the bell housing. I did not know if the holes are all the same on all t5 borg warner or if they changed according to GM, Ford or others or is a borg warner a borg warner no matter what car it goes in.
        quote:Originally posted by Alan

Depends on the bellhousing you have. There is a truck housing that you can drill. Or there is both Chevy and Ford type drilled housings depending on year. Most popular is the Chevy style housing and a S-10 T-5.

Comment

They are different, I know of 3 different patterns of bolts and collers just on Chevy S10's depending on year. If you are going to put 400 horses to the tranny forget the T5 they are good for 350 ft. lbs. torque max. and that is continuous torque not shock loads. Also that rating is conservitive and for the 2.95 low gear. If you go to a 3.27 or higher low the torque rating drops. Anybody that has enough money to build a 400 hp. Stude can afford a Tremic T500 or T600.

Comment

Alan it didn't cost too much to get 400hp. How much is a Tremic T500 or T600. I'm afraid one of these days I'll blow the T-10. It would also be nice to have an overdrive gear as well.
            -Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

The T10's are stronger than a T5. The Tremic's I get from National Drive Train Service www.natldrivetrain.com or Chicago ( 1-800-507-4327),
              Atlanta ( 1-877-541-4327), Las Vegsa ( 1-888-770-4327) they ship fast and do not charge shipping, right to my door the TKO 3550's were $1,300
              the T500's were $1,500 and the T600's were$1,600. Every time I buy one the prices are a little cheeper than the last by $50 to $100 bucks so you will have to ask them what the price is today. The one closest to me is in North Las Vegas near the raceway, but if you walk in the door they charge you tax of like 8%. It is cheeper to phone order.

Comment

They are different, I know of 3 different patterns of bolts and collers just on Chevy S10's depending on year. If you are going to put 400 horses to the tranny forget the T5 they are good for 350 ft. lbs. torque max. and that is continuous torque not shock loads. Also that rating is conservitive and for the 2.95 low gear. If you go to a 3.27 or higher low the torque rating drops. Anybody that has enough money to build a 400 hp. Stude can afford a Tremic T500 or T600.

Comment

Comment

one more time.
                    I am going to hook up a t5 to my stude 289. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a t5 from a 4 cyl. vs. a 8 cyl. I am told that I will need a 10" clutch plate and I have that on my current stude 289. Is there anything else that may be different?

Comment

You'll need the V8 5 speed, a different clutch disk, some clutch linkage mods, a machined pilot bearing adapter some maching of the bell housing,new speedo cable and a modified driveshaft.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      64 GT Hawk
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      53 Street rod
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                      X