Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

throttle linkage location on 65-66 help!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle linkage location on 65-66 help!!

Hi guys, I need to know where to drill the hole in the fire wall for the throttle linkage from a 65-66 chevy set-up. I have a 62 Lark, I need to set up. I have the correct 65-66 linkage, but I don't want to go drill crazy until I have a better idea of where to drill. Any advice would help...I have a general idea of where it is, but I do not have any exact measurement..Thanks!!

I guess we have to start by assuming that the firewall for the '62 and '65 models was similar. It may not be, as there seems to be a flat place stamped into my '65 Wagonaire firewall to accomodate the bracket for the bent rod that goes from the pedal to the carb. Lets hope that your '62 also has it.

However, if you're lucky, they are the same. There is a rubber/plastic grommet with 3/4 inch i.d. that the rod goes through. The hole you drill will have to be bigger than 3/4" to accommodate the grommet. The center of the hole, as closely as I can measure, is 2-3/8" up from the stiffener edge below the steering column and about 1-1/4 inch to the left of the edge of the steering column hole. See picture below.

Good luck!

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary, thanks so much!! That photo is great!! Yes our fire walls are the same, so I'm catching your drift...Thanks again for your help, I think I'm good to go now!!

Comment

Gary, one more thing...is the gas pedal on your linkage pretty small? The linkage I got has a maybe 2x2 or 3x3 inch little plate for the gas pedal. Looks funny..I was thinking of bolting my old pedal in it's place...Thanks!!

Comment

prager, you've not said if this was a 6 or an 8 installation. Which is it?
          You made me look at the '65-66 parts book and I just realized there's quite a difference in the automatic tranny throttle pressure linkage between the 6 & 8 Chevybakers! I'd never dealt with a 6cyl ChevyBaker and so I wasn't aware they used linkage and not a cable as the V8 cars did. One more nugget for future reference![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, I am not sure what they used for an 8cyl. I thought the linkage would work..?? I am installing a Chevy 8 with a manual trans. Did the v-8's have a cable for the detent or something? I think the linkage I have will work, unless you can tell me otherwise..I really do not know for sure...Please let me know when you can...Thanks for the info so far!!!

Comment

The actual bellcrank that the gas pedal works against is different between the V8s and the 6s.
              The throttle pressure feedback (to the auto tranny) is cable actuated with a V8 and rod-operated on the 6cyl cars.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs, do you mean the bellcrank on the carb? I am using a holley carb, it looks to me that if I go ahead and mount the rod bracket to the existing fire wall screws and run the pedal end into the car, the rod end that attaches to the carb seems like it will come out to the throttle linkage on the carb, it hooks up on the drivers side.. I guess like a 6..I will not have any tranny kickdown or anything else to hook up, so I think I'll be ok..does this sound ok by you?? Thanks!!

Comment

I was speaking of the bellcrank that mounts to the firewall.

If it looks right, it probably is![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                  X