X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studebakers - Help

Hi all,
    Looking for some help. We just started a full resto on a '63 Daytona Convertible. The car is actually owned by the great, great granddaughter of the Studebaker's. However this is our first Studebaker [thank god we're off the Mustangs for a while ]What do you recommend for a good parts source and also some good info and pics to get the car back to original?

Thanks
    Sean
    Look for updates soon at:

go here:

For general parts needs, SASCO, SI, Stephen Allen's are the first places I go in that order (others may have other preferences.) Chuck Collins is excellent too but I don't deal with him as much because he's out west and I'm in MD.

Ed from SI did a nice picture book on the Lark series last year, that might be worth a few bucks just as a reference. You may also want to look into getting the parts books, there are two, body and chassis. I imagine you could probably talk the owner of the car into buying those as they really are helpful as they have lots of exploded diagrams etc. You can probably get all three books (two parts books and the shop manual) for about $100 give or take a few from any of the big vendors. A lot of vendors have their inventories done by Stude part number, so having the parts books is almost a necessity if you're doing serious work.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Almost forgot, I've dealt with Myer's as well and they are also on my "recommended" list.

There's actually lots of good vendors out there, I'm only recommending the ones I personally have dealt with.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate. I have that book coming now. I noticed most parts sites do not offer a printed catalog. Is this the case?

Sean

Comment

Also. Where do I find the paint code for this car?

Specializing In Restorations. www.paintworksunlimited.com

Comment

Comprehensive catalogs would be out of the question because there's so much stuff left. SI has a good catalog (and at that, it doesn't begin to list everything they've got on hand) but most others don't. Best investment you can make is to buy the pertinent chassis and body catalogs and learn how to use them to find the part numbers you need. It's much easier to address the vendors when you use part numbers. And not all vendors have the same items in their inventory.
            It's different than the world of Moustangs and what's available for them.
            Of course, you could come here and ask what numbers you need. Depending oh WHAT you need, some may be available in NOS or repro fashion and some may have to be scavenged from vendors with used parts (to include wrecking yards).
            If you're real lucky, the paint code sticker might still be glued to the underside of the glove box. Otherwise, you need to obtain a copy of the original production order from the Studebaker Museum. They'll need the serial # from the left front door jamb to look it up.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks again. Yes, parts for Mustangs are silly, you can just about order a '65 Mustang out of a catalog and put it together when it arrives! Luckly this car is in very good shape and we won't need a ton of parts. Weather stripping, emblems, some trim, etc. Any idea on production #s. How many Daytona conv.s were made? This car came from Germany. It has a speedo in km and a few german tags here and there.

Comment

Checked out your website. Some nice Buick GS photos! I'm a huge fan of those cars but they are priced a little bit out of my budget..hench I own a 63 Lark..
                Todd

Comment

Nice video! I happen to be doing a '71 GS right now for a customer! .What year is the grille on this one? We have 3 grilles,2 are plastic,1 is potmetal.I have lotsa questions,if you have the patience!Can you e-mail me a pic of a 71 GS grille?? Thanks!!! and welcome to 'StudeLand...

Home of the Almostahawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hey 52Hawk, the BEST place to get your questions answered is over at www.v8buick.com . Fantastic Buick forum there.
                    Todd

Comment

Thank You for the Buick link!! It's huge.Looks like I'm gonna get an education!!! I have a parts car and I'd have never realized what some of that stuff might be worth...

Home of the Almostahawk
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Because I know how little space most body shop offices have, I'd recommend the manual set from Classic Manuals on CD-Rom. It also includes are partial catalog from SI.

Website is: http://grogansports.com/satsoft/cata...evisitHome=Yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Paintworks Unlimited

Thanks again. Yes, parts for Mustangs are silly, you can just about order a '65 Mustang out of a catalog and put it together when it arrives! Luckly this car is in very good shape and we won't need a ton of parts. Weather stripping, emblems, some trim, etc. Any idea on production #s. How many Daytona conv.s were made? This car came from Germany. It has a speedo in km and a few german tags here and there.

On your production question - 1015 1963 convertibles were built. Of that number, 36 were for export.

I also suggest joining the Studebaker Drivers Club (this site) - only $27.50. It will give you the ads for new, NOS and used parts as well as a feel for vendors out there. You should also buy the back issue of Turning Wheels with the Fred Fox feature on '63 Larks (from this site).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks for the help everyone.
                            52hawk - good luck finding a '71 GS grille. I have a few very nice skylark grilles but not a GS one. We actually specialize in GranSports. Ocationally we get some other stuff to. re: 63 studebaker!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X