This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk front top plastic fins

Did the plastic fins on top of the fender on Hawks light up?

On the 1963s and 1964s they did. The 1962 hawks did not, but you could probably install lights if you wanted to.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

What lite them up? Fiber optics or what?
      quote:Originally posted by Scott

On the 1963s and 1964s they did. The 1962 hawks did not, but you could probably install lights if you wanted to.

Comment

What lit them was a small bulb and socket. The socket&cable is part# 1353741. It mounts right below the plastic ornament. There was a differnt part# used for export cars. I'd bet maybe it used an amber insert.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oddly enough I was just messing with one of these today. In a 63-64 GT Hawk there is another wire that runs to the front of the car that taps into the wire feeding the high/low beam switch, so it is "hot" whenever the headlight switch is up. If you ever have the pleasure of R&Ring one of these lights you will see that they seem to be designed for the sole purpose of trapping water and dirt and rusting to nothingness. I would highly recommend if you have these lights and they work disassembling them, running a thin bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the chrome piece, and along the surface of the plastic "fin" where it screws to the chrome piece, and finally adding a grommet to where the wire goes through the steel plate (if you've had it apart, this will make sense.) Finally, some silicone/dielectric grease in the bulb socket would be an excellent idea as well. Or, you could just not drive in rain.

Keep in mind that to remove these "fin" lights you will need to slide the fender top stainless trim back 1/2" or so. If you are careful you can do this without barfing up the paint.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X