This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 2R10 Fuel Pump

Hi, I just bought a 1950 2R10 for $1000. Body is in great shape, has new brake lines, plug wires and seems to be relatively well taken care of. The truck was parked for 2 years and was supposedly driven on weekends prior to that. It was stored with a full tank of gas and the gas smells like it is still okay. We tried to start it last weekend and it turned over, with spark and seems as if it wasn't getting fuel. I removed the single action fuel pump and checked it out. Almost all the screws and bolts and gas line fittings were slightly loose and there was a hack job for a gasket on the engine end. My question is, not being much of a mechanic, should I try to tighten everything down, create a new gasket, hook it up and try again or do you guys think I'm going to need a rebuilt fuel pump. any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I would safely empty the old gas from the tank, then add some new gas into the tank.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Probably a good idea. Any suggestions about the fuel pump? I'm sure that no gas is getting into the carb as the fp bowl remains empty. Tried to prime it by filling the bowl and putting some gas in the carb, but got some fire and that's it. I'm sure the gas lines are not plugged as when it was loaded onto the flat bed tailgate first, gas poured out of the front of the truck.

quote:Originally posted by curt

I would safely empty the old gas from the tank, then add some new gas into the tank.

Comment

You may need a new diaphragm for the fuel pump. Some of the older diaphragms tend to turn into goo when they are left to sit with old (but modern formulation) gas. It's fairly easy to rebuild a fuel pump yourself, all you need is a few basic hand tools and a hammer and punch for the check valves. Just don't drive the check valves in all the way (I saw a "freshly rebuilt" R1 pump fail to function because whoever rebuilt it did that!)

Last fuel pump kit I got was from Fairborn Studebaker, although I'm sure other vendors may have them as well. Only gotcha is to make sure that you still have the original pump. However, they also sell new fuel pumps that while they don't look like the originals function quite well (I am running one in my '55 right now)

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Also check your oil. You may have been pumping gasoline into your crankcase!

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I spoke to Chuck Collins at studebakerparts.com about rebuilt fuel pumps. He recommends getting a new one instead, due to variations in rebuilder parts and quality. A new one is only $60.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

You guys are great! I did an oil change prior to trying to start and also I should mention that I live in Colorado, so moisture is still an issue but not as bad. Think I'll try to do the rebuild myself and then buy a new pump if I still can't get it started. Many topics will follow I'm sure, but I couldn't be more exited about joining the Stude world. This truck looks great as it is and I can hardly wait to see it when I'm done.

Thanks again!

Doug

1950 2R10

Comment

Okay, I was looking this over and had one more question about Nate's comment. Can you expand a little bit on what you said about pumping gasoline into your crankcase? I'm confused about that.

Comment

http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm manufactures the rebuild kits.
                  If the diaphragm leaks, gas will come out the vent on the pump. If it gets past the stem seal, it's in the oil pan.
                  Since the pump is already removed, I'd rebuild it. The old gas is probably the real problem.
                  Mike M.

Comment

Working...
                  X