This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Shocks

Any suggestions for currentley available rear air shock kits for Larks? Part numbers, load ratings and manufacturer would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

Ben

bekglm1@aol.com
    SIAR/ Special Interest Autos and Restorations
    59 Canadian Lark 2 door 63 full flow 6 cyl 3 OD
    59 Silver Hawk 289 4 bbl 3 OD
    62 Lark Wagon 335 horse 4 bolt small block GM/built THM 350/Versilles RE w/discs
    62 Lark Cruiser 259 auto, TT
    62 Daytona 289 4 bbl PS Auto, TT

For newer cars that use the shock stud on the bottom of the shock for mounting instead of a bolt you can use air shocks for a Camaro (1980). The upper mount is different and either needs to be modified or replaced.

You can cut the crimped down section off and use a punch to reshape the tube to a round section again or cut off one side and press out the mount. Remove the mount from your old shock and press it into the new shock.

If you have the older style (pre 63) spring / shock plate you could either swap it out or modify it to look like the newer style.

David L
    David L

Comment

The simplist way, which I have done, is to buy NOS Studebaker air shocks. They are ready to bolt on, come with hoses, template for air valve, etc. Try SASCO, or other major vendors, for current availability. Many don't realize that air shocks were a Studebaker accessory item.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I HAVE A SET W/LESS THAN 500 MILES ON THEM, FOR SALE! I GOT 'EM AT LES SCHWAB'S (A NW TIRE CHAIN). THEY FIT A '64 LARK TYPE. I ENDED UP REPLACING REAR SPRING BUSHINGS, ADDING A LEAF, AND WENT BACK TO HYDRAULIC SHOX, SO I DON'T NEED 'EM. $50 plus shipping
        THEY ACTUALLY MOUNT UPSIDE DOWN (THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL FIT), BUT WORK FINE. IF INTERESTED, E-MAIL ME.
        newell4@nwinfo.net

Comment

Just remember that shock mounts were really not designed to support big loads. If the rear springs are that bad, perhaps replacing the springs, or adding a leaf or two would accomplish the same thing.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bekglm1

Any suggestions for currentley available rear air shock kits for Larks? Part numbers, load ratings and manufacturer would be most appreciated.
          Thanks

Ben

bekglm1@aol.com
          SIAR/ Special Interest Autos and Restorations
          59 Canadian Lark 2 door 63 full flow 6 cyl 3 OD
          59 Silver Hawk 289 4 bbl 3 OD
          62 Lark Wagon 335 horse 4 bolt small block GM/built THM 350/Versilles RE w/discs
          62 Lark Cruiser 259 auto, TT
          62 Daytona 289 4 bbl PS Auto, TT
          DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
          '37 Coupe Express
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer
          '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree with Jeff that air shocks should not be used to correct a spring problem. I put Studebaker air shocks on my Wagonaire, with good springs, and discovered that they improved the handling as well as reduced sag when carrying a load. Those shock mounts were not designed to take much of a beating.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X